𝐱𝐯. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐮𝐛

BRUTAL
chapter fifteen

BRUTALchapter fifteen

the hub

ADRIAN WAS LEANING AGAINST A WALL AS HE WATCHED DUSTIN AND STEVE PULL FOOD AND SHELVING OUT OF THE BYERS' REFRIGERATOR. He would be lying if he said it wasn't amusing.

Dustin wanted to keep the Demo-dog safe so he could show people. But it wasn't the smartest idea.

"All right." Dustin breathed out as he pulled the last shelf out. "It should fit now," Dustin told Steve, who was holding the Demo-dog wrapped up in a blanket.

"Is this really necessary?" Steve asked, looking at Dustin in disbelief. "Yes, it is, okay? This is a groundbreaking scientific discovery. We can't just bury it like some common animal, okay? It's not a dog." Adrian furrowed his eyebrows.

"All right, all right, all right." Adrian cleared his throat so Dustin would look at him. "If they aren't dogs then why are you calling them Demo-dogs?" Dustin glared at him.

"You're explaining this to Mrs. Byers, all right?" Steve started shoving the monster into the fridge and Adrian grimaced when its saliva had dropped onto the side of the fridge.

"Christ. Help me out." Steve begged Dustin as he struggled to keep the monster in. "What am I supposed to do?" Dustin threw his hands up.

"Get the door, man," Steve told him. Dustin walked over and grabbed the door. "All right, I got the door." The two of them struggled to push the thing inside, but when they did they both let out a sigh of relief, Steve ruffling Dustin's hair.

"Now that's what I call entertainment." Adrian clapped. "Shove off, Adrian." Adrian stopped with a sigh and walked over to the couch, crossing his arms.

Lucas was sweeping up some broken glass while Max held a dustpan to help him. Mike was pacing around the room in worry for the girl who he had just gotten back.

"Mike, would you just stop already?" Lucas asked the boy, getting annoyed at the fact that Mike wasn't doing anything but pacing up and down.

"You weren't in there, okay, Lucas? That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs." Mike explained. "Demo-dogs." Dustin corrected from the kitchen, causing Adrian to let out a snort of laughter.

"Adrian..." Adrian turned his head in the direction of the feminine voice, but there was nobody. "The chief will take care of her," Lucas assured.

Adrian bit his lip before turning back, devising not to investigate. "Like she needs protection." Adrian could tell that she was pissed off at El for rejecting her friendship.