The Return of Quaid, Part 4/5

Back in the hub of the city, Rapunzel, Eugene, Cassandra, Varian, and Vex crouch behind some crates to watch Rapunzel's plan unfold. As Quaid walks past, oblivious to their presence, a cry suddenly pierces the air.

     "Help!" Shorty shouts, as a cloaked Lance stands over him, 'threatening' him with a sword. "I'm in Mortimer peril! Someone do something!"

     "Stand and deliver!" Lance hollers out a little too loudly, his face concealed by a black mask.

     "I am standing," Shorty says.

     "Okay Vex, you're up!" Rapunzel whispers. As Vex prepares to take her place, Lance continues to 'threaten' Shorty:

     "Give me thine coin purse, oh bearded homunculus!"

     "Oh no, a holdup! In broad daylight?" Vex announces. "What can we do?" She turns to face Quaid, who is approaching the scene. "Oh look, Captain Quaid! Thank goodness you just happened to be here!"

     The residents of the city gasp as Quaid walks up to Lance.

     "Thou thinkest thou can defeat me?" Lance says overdramatically, pointing his sword at Quaid. "'Tis to laugh!" He continues with a fit of exaggerated laughter.

     Cassandra rolls her eyes, as Varian facepalms.

"I mean, honestly, he wasn't any better as the bush," Eugene whispers.

     "Why him?" Varian asks. "I could've just as easily played the part, and been much better at it!"

     "No offense Varian, but you're about as threatening as a puppy," Cassandra says.

     Varian pauses for a moment. At first he is offended. He's done some pretty threatening things, and she knows it! But when he remembers how he doesn't want people to remember those things about him, he decides to view the insult in a different light:

     "Cassie, are you saying you think I'm cute?" Varian says teasingly.

     Cassandra groans, but before she can respond Rapunzel shushes them

     Cassandra groans, but before she can respond Rapunzel shushes them. "Guys, come on! We don't want Quaid to notice us over here."

     Returning his attention to the scene at hand, Varian watches as Lance pretends to attack Quaid. But Quaid easily blocks the blow with his own sword.

     "Hey everyone, look at this!" Vex shouts to the people of the city. Many turn to look just in time to see Quaid swiftly disarm Lance.

     "Oh, the ignominy!" Lance cries, falling to his knees. "Quaid hath returned like a tempest of justice that rain upon the parched earth of crime!" He then proceeds to make wild weeping sounds.

     Amazingly, Quaid does not see through the act. He smiles proudly as Vex shouts to the gathered crowd, "Let's make some noise for Quaid!"

     The crowd cheers and begins to chant his name.