Curses! Part 1/5

The gang have barely been back on the road a few days, and already they have come across another challenge:

"Lombard's Pass," Rapunzel says from the front of the caravan, staring at the winding mountain path ahead of them through her colorful telescope. "Looks rough. But, if anyone can cross it, it's us!"

"Yeah, those swaying towers of rock at the end look like they'll be a piece of cake to traverse..." Varian remarks sarcastically, having already taken a peek at the path through his own telescope earlier.

As the horses pull the caravan upward along the narrow road, small pieces of the path crumble off the edge near their hooves and tumble down into the valley far below. Pascal, perched atop Fidella's head, squeaks nervously.

"I think I share Pascal's sentiments on this one," Varian says. He is already in the seat farthest from the edge, but he scoots over even farther just in case. He doesn't blame Ruddiger a bit for hiding out safely inside the caravan.

 He doesn't blame Ruddiger a bit for hiding out safely inside the caravan

"So the road is a little, um, how do I put this?" Rapunzel says.

"Horrifying?" Hook Foot suggests, popping out of the back of the caravan.

"Stomach-churning?" Lance adds, appearing beside Hook Foot.

"Hello," Shorty says, hanging out a window next to Varian.

"We're talking about crossing Lombard's Pass," Rapunzel says confidently. "And it's going to feel so rewarding after we do! Besides, if we wanna stay on the Black Rocks' path, it's our only choice. Now who's with me?" She stands up tall, holding her telescope high above her head. But Hook Foot and Lance slowly duck back into the caravan, Eugene shakes his head, and Cassandra only looks irritated as usual. Varian sighs, and slides down farther into his seat.

"That's the spirit!" Rapunzel says cheerfully, ignoring everyone's negativity.

As they continue forward, the caravan rolls over a bump in the road. Rapunzel loses her grip on her telescope, and it falls out of her hands and over the edge of the mountain. "My telescope!" She shouts with a gasp, reaching out to catch it. But Eugene has to hold her back to keep her from falling over, too.

The horses halt as Rapunzel stares down after her telescope, looking crestfallen.

"Rapunzel, are you okay?" Varian asks, slightly confused. "We have more telescopes in the back."