Peril on the High Seas, Part 2/4

"This is just great," Varian says sarcastically as he bobs in the water, the cargo ferry having already disappeared from view. The sun has completely set, so he is in total darkness.

But he gets the feeling that they are not alone, as he again hears a splash like the one he heard before. "E-Eugene?" He asks nervously. "Max? Please tell me that's you guys."

Another splash, only this time it's more quiet and gentle. He squints his eyes in the dark, but can't make out anything. He reaches into his pocket, and is relieved to discover that he still has his vial from before. He shakes it to make it glow, and it illuminates his surroundings.

"Please don't be a shark, please don't be a shark..." Varian repeats to himself, as he feels Ruddiger vibrate with fear atop his head. But instead of a fin, he sees a person's head appear out of the water nearby —a young girl with long, brown hair.

 But instead of a fin, he sees a person's head appear out of the water nearby —a young girl with long, brown hair

     "Hello," the girl says, waving shyly.

     Varian is at a loss for words. "Wha— How...? W-Who are you?" He stammers.

     The girl swims a little closer into the light, and Varian notices that she is wearing his bandana around her neck. His bandana! "I'm Misty," she says. When Varian still stares at her with a bewildered expression, she disappears back under the water. After a couple seconds, she leaps out of the sea into the air, revealing the fin that makes up the bottom half of her body. After landing back in the water with a splash! she pops her head back up and swims to Varian again.

     "Oh, you're a mermaid!" Varian says in fascination as Ruddiger chitters excitedly. "We met another mermaid a few weeks ago."

     "Yes, the thief Seraphina. I'm aware," Misty says.

"Did you know her?" Varian asks.

Misty shakes her head. "I just... saw what happened."

She blushes when she says this, and Varian raises an eyebrow. "Okay," he says slowly. "Well, I'm actually glad you're here. You found my bandana!"

Misty stares down at the bandana around her neck. "Yes, I found it."

"That's... what I just said," Varian says, holding his hand out expectantly. "And, uh, thank you. For finding it."

Misty stares at his extended hand, but continues to wear the bandana.

"Can you give it back, please?" Varian asks. "A close friend gave it to me."

"I know it's yours, and I want to give it back to you..." Misty says. "But... I really like it." She gazes at the symbol on it and smiles.

Varian sighs. If he wanted to, he could jerk it right off of her. But he is trying to be nice, because this mermaid may be his only hope of getting back to the ship. He'll think of a way to get it back from her later. "Okay, fine... Do you think you can help me, then?"