The Eye of Pincosta, Part 3/6

"Hey, wait!" Varian shouts, spotting Rapunzel on the pathway up ahead.

"Varian?" Rapunzel says in surprise, stopping to let him catch up with her. "How did you get out?"

"The constable agreed to let me come with you," Varian explains. "None of us liked the idea of you doing this on your own."

"That's sweet Varian, but I'm okay. Really." She then allows herself to smile. "But I appreciate the help."

Walking together, the two of them finally come upon the pub Eugene mentioned. They step inside, and immediately spot Stalyan playing darts with a tough-looking man. They watch as she hustles the guy out of his diamond-studded dagger. The man growls angrily, and begins smashing furniture and dishes around the pub in a rage.

Rapunzel and Varian exchange glances, and then step towards Stalyan. Somehow, the woman senses the princess's presence.

"Wow. Didn't think Princess Sunshine could find me in a place as shady as this," Stalyan says without turning around.

Rapunzel folds her arms. "Well, maybe you're not the judge of character you thought you were." Pascal, perched on Rapunzel's shoulder, squeaks his agreement. Varian simply keeps his mouth shut... for now.

     "Let me guess: Rider's in trouble, and you want my help to save him," Stalan says with a smug smirk, pulling out her small dagger and using it to pry the jewels off the man's dagger that she won

"Yeah," Rapunzel admits hesitantly. "I need to find the Eye of Pincosta. And you two stole it together."

"We stole a lot of things together," Stalyan says. "Yeah, I know where it is. But why would I help you?"

Rapunzel smiles widely. "Because I'm charming?" When Stalyan doesn't respond, she glances at Varian and shrugs. "It was worth a shot."

"I could find a way to, ahem, motivate her by using alchemy," Varian suggests.

At the sound of an unexpected voice, Stalyan finally turns around and stares at Varian quizzically.

"Hi, I'm Varian. We haven't officially met," Varian says, approaching her table and extending his hand.

 We haven't officially met," Varian says, approaching her table and extending his hand