Vigor the Visionary, Part 4/5

As the group travel, they come across a creepy mist.

     "I don't get it, it should be here," Angry says, straining to see through the mist.

     "It might be," Rapunzel says. "I... can't see a thing through this mist."

     "Well, the end of the line is Snake Canyon," Eugene tells them, looking at Red's map. "And that's kind of—"

     Maximus suddenly stops them, letting out a warning neigh. The huge canyon lies before them; any farther and they would have fallen in.

     "—hard to miss," Eugene finishes.

     "Yikes," Varian says, staring down into the pit.

     "Vigor, this is a dead end," Rapunzel says. "What do we do now?"

     Vigor, hopping from Varian's head to Eugene's shoulder, simply scratches his ear and sniffs his finger.

     "Eugene, do you have another coin?" Rapunzel asks hopefully.

     "Oh no!" Eugene says. "I say we go back, return the monkey to the weird old lady, and call it a day!" He takes Vigor off his shoulder, places him on the ground, and holds out a coin. "You hear that, Viggy? You're not getting one more shiny outta this guy, ya got it?"

       Once Vigor sees the coin, he begins to holler. He hops on top of Angry's head and howls, pointing.

     "Vigor, what is it?" Rapunzel asks.

     "Look!" Angry suddenly says. They all turn where Vigor is pointing, and see a distant rock sticking out of the middle of the canyon. A house is perched atop it.

     "That's a homey-looking place..." Varian says nervously.

     "And there's a bridge!" Angry says, growing excited

     Eugene stammers. "Anybody could've seen that. Monkey see, monkey point!"

     As the girls rush to the bridge, Rapunzel says mockingly, "Oh, Eugene... Remind me again: 'If there's one thing I don't believe in, it's fortune tellers!' But, what was that second thing that you don't believe in? Fortune tellers that are also, ugh, what again?" She holds Vigor up by the hand and points at him.

     Eugene sighs heavily. "Oh, whatever, I give up! Lead the way, monkey boy."

     Rapunzel claps as Vigor holds out his hand, and Eugene tosses a coin into it with a groan.

First Vex, now this monkey... Varian thinks. We're gonna be broke by the end of this trip.

As they begin to follow Vigor over the bridge, Eugene says, "But let the record show that I follow only out of a sense of obligation to the group as a whole!"