The Great Tree, Part 5/7

After making a campfire, the gang sit around it and warm themselves, preparing to rest for the night. Varian leans back against a tree, staring at Cassandra as she keeps watch quite a distance away from the group. He wants more than anything to go over to her, to help her see that everything is going to be alright. But he isn't completely sure of that himself. Besides, he knows better than to approach her right after she's been riled up. So he waits patiently for his moment, attempting to formulate what he is going to say to her in his head.

     As he waits, he overhears a conversation between Rapunzel and Eugene:

     "I don't get it Eugene," Rapunzel says sadly. "I have never seen Cass act like this before."

     "Yeah. Angry, brooding, impatient. I'm stunned," Eugene says sarcastically.

     "You know what I mean," Rapunzel continues. "Ever since we left Corona, she's been... different."

     "Because she is," Eugene tells her, offering a smile. "We all are, Blondie. We've had to make some adjustments since leaving Corona. We're not the same people we were six months ago and, well, why would Cass be any different?"

     Six months? Varian thinks. Has it really been that long?

     "It's just that ever since I've know Cass, it's like she seems so together," Rapunzel says.

     "You of all people should know things aren't always what they seem," Eugene says. He gestures toward Cassandra with a reassuring smile, and Rapunzel stands up to go talk to her friend, sitting down beside her.

     Looks like she's finally breaking the ice, Varian thinks, watching the princess and Cassandra converse. He can't hear what they are saying, but he watches Cass transform from being rigid and reserved to relaxing a little and even smiling. After a few minutes Rapunzel stands back up and returns to the campfire.

     "Seems like that conversation went well," Eugene says, taking Rapunzel's hand lovingly

     "I think it did," she says, smiling with relief.

     But when Varian glances back at Cassandra, he notices that she still seems melancholy. She stands up, and strolls away out of sight. "I guess now is as good a time as any," he says to Ruddiger, who is curled up next to him. But the raccoon is sound asleep and doesn't even hear him. Varian shakes his head, and inhales deeply. After exhaling slowly, he gets up and follows after Cassandra. The others have already settled in for the night and fallen asleep, so they don't even notice him leave.

     Varian finds Cassandra in a separate room filled with statues of daring men in armor atop powerful horses. She stares at them, appearing deep in thought, as Owl watches her curiously from atop one of the statues.

     "Cassie? Are... Are you okay?" Varian asks hesitantly.

     Not having expected anyone else to be there, Cassandra spins around in surprise. But upon seeing Varian, she just chuckles humorlessly. "Define 'okay'," she replies.