Forest of No Return, Part 4/5

As the sun begins to rise, Eugene climbs a tall tree to get a better view of their surroundings. "Ohh, look what I can see from here!" He announces excitedly. "It's the edge of the forest! We made it! You know something, it's almost like we didn't need this map or some random stranger."

     "We probably would've already been out by now if he had just followed the map or listened to Adira," Varian grumbles. He is exhausted, hungry, and grouchy. He already tried asking Cassandra for a piggyback ride, but she adamantly refused... as did Lance and Hook Foot.

     Rapunzel takes notice of his condition. "You okay, Varian?" She asks, placing her hand on his shoulder.

     "Oh yeah, just great..." He replies with an eye roll, as Eugene slides down from the tree.

" He replies with an eye roll, as Eugene slides down from the tree

     "Ha, okay! Perfect landing," Eugene says. "Ten out of ten!"

     Varian glares at Eugene and begins to stomp towards him, planning on teaching him a thing or two, but Rapunzel holds him back. He sighs, his face softening once he realizes what he's doing. "I'm sorry Rapunzel, I'm just so tired..." He tells her.

     "I understand. We all are," Rapunzel says. "But you heard Eugene, we're almost out of here! So just hold on a little longer, okay?"

     Varian manages a weak smile as he nods in agreement.

     "Now, I don't want to brag —scratch that, I want to brag— Who led us outta here?" Eugene says, paying no attention to the condition of the others as he continues leading them. "Buckle in, because this is a lotta syllables kids: Eugene Fitzherbert, Esquire, navigator extraordinaire—" He gasps as he comes to a sudden stop.

     Ahead of them lies a field of geysers, emitting gray gases. It looks nearly impossible to cross. Fear is reflected in the entire group's eyes.

     "Oh boy..." Eugene says.

     "Those are the Silver Geysers," Adira tells everyone. "They're lava hot, and emit toxic gases."

     "Looks like I got some competition," Shorty says with his hands on his hips.

     As everyone stares in horror at the geysers, Adira takes a look at the map. "The map is instructing us to run through them," she says. "It's possible, if we time it right."

     "Are you kidding me?!" Eugene screams. "You want us to run through there? A field of piping hot fire water? Yeah, we're not doin' that."

     "Setting aside the fact that the boiling temperature would likely scald our skin off our bones, inhaling the gases could also be damaging," Varian points out.

     As he says this, the rumbling noise returns and trees begin to shift behind them. "We could be swallowed by a land pit at any moment," Adira reasons. "You have a better idea?"