Chapter Three - Truth or Dare

James:

Wow! Honestly, that meeting could not have gone better! I did NOT expect Lily Evans to be so cool about me being Head Boy! Fuck, she reacted better than I did. When I first found out my dad and I both thought it was a prank. But no, I wrote to him and he told me he was serious. It went a little something like this:

To James Fleamont Potter,

Congratulations on being made Head Boy for this year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You were given very high recommendations from many of your professors. You have consistently achieved very high marks in all of your subjects, and have showed very impressive leadership skills over your past two years as Captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch Team, having led the team to victory (Congratulations - there were some very impressive goals scored!). Some sources have also told me that you have matured greatly over the late part of the past school year and the start of the summer, and therefore you have been given this high accolade. I expect you to not abuse your power, but to help and encourage good behaviour and promote effective learning among your fellow classmates and younger pupils. Many of the younger students view you as a role model, and I hope that you will strive to be a good one. You will find your Head Boy badge enclosed. Congratulations once again.

Yours sincerely,

Albus Percival Wulfrick Brian Dumbledore.

To Professor Dumbledore,

Hello sir. I hope that you are enjoying your summer holidays. I was just writing to you with regards to your letter last week - the one about me becoming Head Boy. I was just wondering if some kind of mistake has been made. I hope you are well, and shall see you in September. I hope to hear from you before then though. Thanks about the Quidditch (you know you love to see Gryffindor win).

Yours truly,

James Fleamont Potter

(P.S. My mother told me to write my middle name - I'm not entirely sure why.).

To James Fleamont Potter (I have included your middle name out of respect to your dear mother - I hope she is well),

No, there has been no mistake. You are to be the Head Boy for this year. I hope to see you fit, well and ready for a great and productive year of learning (and hopefully a good Quidditch season too). When you board the Hogwarts Express in September from Platform 9 & 3/4, you are to go and meet the Head Girl in the Heads compartment up the front of the train. I'm sure you will like her a lot and she will explain to you how the job works. You will then, alongside the Head Girl, lead a Prefect's meeting. Both of these things should take up about an hour of your time. You are then free to go and catch up with your friends. I do hope you are well and I hope to see you ready to learn in September.

Yours sincerely,

Albus Percival Wulfrick Brian Dumbledore

(P.S. I believe that it is custom to use your full name when signing off a letter. I have never really fully thought why.).

I was thinking over this when Mary MacDonald (one of Lily's friends) suggested playing a game of Truth or Dare. I then speak up, "We have to play it proper Marauders style though. Pads, got our special potion?". Padfoot then takes out what looks like a plain bottle of Firewhiskey and flourishes it. Little do the girls know that there may be a touch of Veritaserum (truth potion) mixed in with it.