Chapter Nineteen - Just Talking

Lily:

I take a deep breath, and begin my story...

"So, me and my sister were best friends. We did everything together, everything! She's only a year older than me, and we were inseperable. That is, until, I was nine. I discovered that I was magical and...lets just say, Petunia wasn't thrilled. She called me a freak, and doesn't talk to me anymore. It's just...it's just so complicated, you know? I just really want for us to be like that again - close, inseperable. I want to be able to talk to her about my life here, and not have her turn her nose up at it, or say some scathing remark. She got engaged a little while back, and has made sure that I won't be able to come to her wedding. And don't even get me started on her fiancee! He's an absolute whale! His name is Vernon Dursley, but I call him Vermin, and he literally looks like something went wrong with an Engorgement Charm!". He laughs here, but throughout most of the conversation he had a really...well, there is no other way to say it...a serious look on his face!

"I understand, Lily. Obviously, you know my brother Regulus. He's a sixth year Slytherin, and we...well, we don't really talk all that much. It was him that I was talking to just before I...I found you. My whole family are on the dark side...Vildemort's side. They all think that he is the best thing to happen to the Wizarding World, and they all follow him and worship the ground that he walks on. I'm different. I...I like muggles, and I hate all dark magic. Growing up, Reg and I...we were really close. Best friends, probably similar to you and your sister. But then I arrived at Hogwarts, and was sorted into Gryffindor. That's when my family really started treating me like I was different. My entire family has been in Slytherin, except for one person, some distant relative in like the 1800s or something, and even then he was a Ravenclaw. They all think that Gryffindor is the worst house that I could possibly be in - Slytherin's rival house. My mother and father, they aren't nice people. Not at all. Pure-blood maniacs, they are! So when I suggested the possibility of me becoming friends with a half-blood, or low and behold a muggleborn, they were appalled. They even hate me being friends with James, even though he's a pureblood, because his family are considered 'blood traitors'. Also, James' mother was just like me. She was a Black, but she got disowned at about the same age I did - fifteen/sixteen. That's why they took me in so readily - well, that and the fact that they are incredibly kind. Anyways, Reg came along, and of course he was sorted into Slytherin. That just made my family hate me even more. I dealt with them for a couple of years, took the punishment that they thought I deserved for his sake. I thought that if they didn't take it out on me, they would on him, and I didn't want that. But it got to a point when I thought..." here he pauses and takes a deep breath, bracing himself for what he is about to say, "I thought my mother would kill me. I...I couldn't deal with it anymore. I immediately flooed to James' house, Potter Manor, without even packing anything. I...I'm so grateful to Charlus and Euphemia for taking me in. They provided me with all my clothes, my school supplies, my broomstick...everything. They keep telling me that I don't owe them anything, but I will pay it back as soon as I can. It is the least I can do.".

Wow. I...I didn't realise that Sirius had such...such a hard life. Behind his confident attitude, he really is only human, no matter how many times he might try and deny it. I...I'm completely and utterly speechless. I can't think of anything to say to him, to show him that I feel sympathy for him. I decide to just give him a hug, to show him that everything will work out in the end. "Sorry Lily. I really shouldn't have told you my entire tragic backstory, when you are already feeling miserable. I-" he begins to say, and I am in shock before I cut him off. "Sirius, are you actually fucking with me? I'm always here to talk - always. And I am so glad that you told me, that you trust me enough to tell me. So don't you dare apologize. And by the way, if your mother ever comes within a hundred miles off you, tell me so that I can murder her, okay?". He chuckles a bit, and nods. "Thanks, Lily.".