Chapter Thirty-Five - Bizarre

James:

The week leading up to the ball is completely mad. Bands are booked, last arrangements of food and decorations are made...crazy!

Our classes are really beginning to get Christmassy now, and I LOVE it! In Charms we literally got to learn how to light a Christmas tree! Like...what?! You can't make this shit up! Most professors are going nice and easy on us now, just because it's the last week. Even Minnie G has let us off homework two nights in a row!

The only class that we don't get a reprieve in is Potions, which is weird considering how festive Sluggy gets and how lazy he is! This bloody Amortentia is a lot of hard work!

So far the only pair to be finished is Lils and Snivelly (I think Lily deliberately hurried so that she didn't have to work with Batman for another week!) so now she's trying her best to help the lot of us out, which is a very hard task given that Marly and I...well, we aren't exactly Potions prodigies!

Pads and Ali aren't getting on much better, and I don't think Moony is enjoying being paired with Melania Greengrass (who's eye makeup just keeps getting worse and worse!). Frank and Daisy Parkinson are the pair with the biggest laughs though...

They hate each other so much that at least once a lesson we hear a cry of "What the hell is wrong with you!" or "Are you blind you dingbat!" or "Asshole!". I mean, it's very comical for all of us in the class watching, but for them...it's hell on Earth. They've also already been given a Troll by Slughorn, given that they are only on step two of twenty with half a week to finish.

Marly and I just have to brew the last of ours (with Lily whispering instructions in our ears!) and then that's us! Everyone is all buzz about what we will smell though!

Mine is a complete given. I already know it is. I'll smell Lily.

Hold your horses! I know, I know! It's a big shock! I mean, I don't even like this girl! (Hehe, do you like my awful humour? Wink wink!).

Anyways, it's now Friday, the day before the Ball, and I wake up in a panic.

I don't have a suit. Crap.

I suppose that I could just wear my black dress robes, but I was thinking of going Muggle because I feel like it would give Lily a bit of a laugh.

Ah well!

I did intend to go and buy a suit last Saturday in Hogsmeade, but the boys and I spent a little bit of time in Zonkos and somehow when we got out it was dark. Huh!

We all have a good enough day, given that it isn't the weekend, and all our classes go nice and quickly, but we are all on edge.

It's Amortentia day. Officially.

Lily and Snape haven't been allowed to smell theirs yet even though they finished their potion last week because Slughorn collected it up when it still had two days to just brew.

Today is when they all are due to finish and will be marked, and most importantly we get to smell them!

Much to the dislike of everyone in the class, Slughorn spends about half an hour just rambling first about the Amortentia and then about his Christmas party, which happens tonight.

Yay.

I'll wear my dress robes tonight, and then Pads and I can sneak out to Hogsmeade sometime tomorrow because I know that there is no bloody well that he has his.

Pads has been wanting to wear a suit for donkeys years, and tomorrow night is finally the chance for him to do so!

After my temporary zone out, just daydreaming, I begin to hear Slughorn's dreary voice again. "And now we shall begin the marking of these options!" he announces, and everyone in the room sits up straight and pays attention to him.