Chapter Twenty-One - Love Is In The Air

Lily:

Merlin, that party was wild! But I had so much fun! Honestly, it was just exactly what I needed to take my mind off...off things.

It's Tuesday now, and we are all about to head into Potions. Oh! You have absolutely no idea just how excited I am! Well, how excited all of us are! You know, I think that the likes of Marly, James, Sirius and Frank might actually enjoy this Potions class! We are making....

(Insert dramatic drumroll!)

Amortentia!

This is going to be great! Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in existence. It causes a powerful infatuation or obsession from the drinker. It smells different to every person who makes it. Apparently, everyone smells four different things that you love or remind you of comfort or happiness.

I'll probably smell my grandmother's cooking (she made the best chocolate cake in existence!), books and...well, to be honest I don't know what else I'll smell! Everyone says that you just cannot get enough of it, so I am VERY excited. The only annoying part is that this process takes about two months or so, and Slughorn said that we will probably finish it by about Christmas.

Anyways, right now I'm walking into Potions alongside Alice, Remus and James. We all sit down at a table together to prepare for Professor Slughorn to sort us into our pairs for this project. All I'm saying is that I better get somebody good! Could you even imagine being sorted with the likes of BELLATRIX for this project? Ugh, I shudder to think about it.

After everyone has taken their seats, chattering excitedly in anticipation for this project, Slughorn silences us and begins the lesson. "Welcome everybody! Now, I can tell that you are all rather excited about this particular project! Amortentia is a very interesting potion, however it is also extremely complex and difficult to make, so not everyone shall succeed. Before we start our potion making, can somebody tell me what Amortentia is?" he says, and I raise my hand alongside most of the rest of the class.

Slughorn calls upon Remus for the answer, and he says, "Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in existence. It causes a powerful infatuation or obsession from the drinker.". "Very good, Mr Lupin. That is most certainly correct! Five points to Gryffindor! Yes, Amortentia does not create real love, only infatuation. We learned the theory behind this potion last year, so we only have to do a quick recap today. Now, can anybody tell me how we recognise Amortentia?" Professor Slughorn says, and I am one of the few who raises my hand.

"Miss Evans!" Slughorn calls upon me eagerly, and I answer enthusiastically, "It has a distinctive mother-of-pearl sheen, and steam rises from it in characteristic spirals.Amortentia smells different to each person, according to what attracts them.". "Very good, Miss Evans! Take another five points for Gryffindor!" he replies, and I smile.

"Lastly, can anybody please describe to me the effects of this potion?" Slughorn says, and James raises his hand, much to my surprise, alongside Remus and I. "Mr Potter!" Slughorn says in surprise, and he looks delighted. James answers, "The effects of the potion on a person are described to be near instantaneous; with the person who drank the potion appearing 'pale and sickly' and becoming obsessed with the object of their affections, speaking of them as though 'hit by a ray of purest sunlight' and becoming excited or dangerously unstable towards others.".

This is a perfect answer. I'm in total shock over this; Potions is probably James' worst class! How does he know that so perfectly? It appears that I am not the only one in shock; the entire class except for Sirius and Remus have their mouths hanging pen in shock, and even Slughorn seems surprised.

He quickly composes himself, and congratulates James, "Yes, Mr Potter! That is quite right! Well done! Ten points to Gryffindor!". Flip sake, we are five minutes into this class and already Gryffindor has one twenty points! Not too shabby!