Chapter Thirty-Six - Shock

Lily:

Mar keeps on chatting to Remus, thankfully allowing me some calm. James joins in their conversation, and I am completely relieved that he knows me well enough that he knows when I need some time to myself.

Ali and Frank are gushing over each other, and while I am delighted for them I decide to just leave them alone.

As we walk through the corridors, I glance out of the window and smile at the snow.

"Hey, I'm just going to go out. I'll see you all later!" I say to my friends and then, barely wasting any time popping a coat on, I head outdoors.

The cool winter's air nips at my pink cheeks as I slosh through the thick snow, my breath appearing in rings in front of me with every breath I take.

I stop at the edge of the frozen lake and just stand there, looking at the ice on the lake's surface and smiling to myself.

I mull over my thoughts once I feel my head has cleared enough to do so. I can't describe what I smelled! It was so...I don't know! Woodsy, I guess you could say!

I smelled a few tinges of cooking, and a fire, and the smell of a brand new book, but it was all overpowered by that woodsy smell.

It was lovely, don't get me wrong, and I know that I have smelled it before, but I can't quite place where! It's so comforting, and beautiful, and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Suddenly I hear trudging footsteps come from somewhere close behind me. I whip around and to my surprise see Marly standing there.

"What's up?" she asks, bluntly as ever. "Nothing!" I reply, and then smirk, "How are things with you and Sirius?".

"Well I just had the best sex of my life, but that's besides the point! How are you? Don't even deny it Lils, you have been my best friend for many years, and I consider myself to know you better than anyone else, so I know when you are upset, or confused!" she says, and I lower my head.

"Ok! Right, something is wrong but...well, I don't know what it is! I smelled something in the Amortentia, but I don't know what it is!" I say, rubbing my forehead and looking at the confused look on the face of my closest friend.

"Oh Lils!" she says, quickly taking the last few steps and wrapping her arms around me. I take a deep breath and am incredibly shocked at what I smell.

"Marly, that's it! That woody smell! I can smell it!" I say, looking at her strangely. It's only now that I take in and process that I've never seen her wear this coat before.

Shit, did I just admit to my best friend that I am in love with her boyfriend?!

No, that can't be it! Not Sirius! I love him as a brother, but definitely nothing more!

"Really?! This is what you smelled in your Amortentia?" she replies, to my relief not angry but...excited?

I nod, confused at her actions, and Marly jumps up and down in pure and utter delight and gives me the biggest hug ever.

"What's going on?" I ask her laughingly, and Marley grins.

"Do you know who's coat this is?" she says, and I shake my head. She leans into my ear and mutters, "James Potter's.".

What. The. Hell.

"No Marls!" I say, shocked, "That's impossible!". "Really? Ok then, I'll take this coat off and make sure that you are absolutely certain that it is what you smell!" she says, unzipping the coat and handing it to me.

I pull it to my nose and inhale it. That's the smell. Damn.

The blush on my cheeks reveals my answer, and Marley claps her hands together in happiness. "Oh! I'm thrilled! Also, if you are wondering why I have the coat of your dear future husband on, it's because I nicked it from your common room on the way out. Mines too small, and James is basically my brother, so it's fine!" she says, and I roll my eyes at the words 'dear future husband' though I am ashamed to admit that I wouldn't be upset if that was true!

"Marly I-" I try to begin, but Marley shushes me. "You don't have to explain, Lily! And besides, I've known for a long time! I see you when you are with him - it's more than just a crush. You two fit together perfectly - like mistletoe and wine, if you will! So just accept it! When are you going to tell him how you feel?" she says kindly, and I just shake my head.

"I...I don't know. When or even if I will! I love our friendship, and it honestly means too much to me to just give it up!" I say, and Marly just nods.

"Lils, there is absolutely nothing for you to be afraid of! James loves you, it's obvious! Just, think things over and re-think it with a clear head, ok?" she comforts me, and I nod.

"Thanks Marly!" I say gratefully, and together we trudge up to the castle as it is now far too cold to stay outside for much longer, and night is beginning to fall.

Marly:

I'm so glad that Lily has FINALLY admitted that she loves James! I mean, it's obvious, but hey!

It means even more to me after what I just experienced before going out to meet her...

Sirius and I share one last kiss, fully clothed, before heading out of his dormitory and down to Lily and James' common room. It's the common meeting spot for all of us, so I am surprised when I enter and Lily is missing.

"Oh! I see the lovebirds have finally decided to grace us with their presence!" James days cheekily, earning a slap upside the head from me. "Just because your single as hell doesn't mean we all have to be!" I say, sticking my tongue out at him.

James and I are ALWAYS like this with each other - constantly bickering! Our parents always compare us to siblings, which is pretty accurate considering that we grew up together! Hell, our houses were conjoined by a Quidditch pitch! We learned to fly together! If that doesn't say friendship, I don't know what does!

Anyways, I ask, "Where's Lily?". James responds, "Oh, she just went out for some fresh air.". He speaks in a nonchalant tone, but I can tell whenever my brother in everything but blood is aching.

I know that I tease him about being single, but I also know that he doesn't take it seriously (also, he did the exact same thing to me a year or two ago, so it's payback!). I raise one eyebrow ever so slightly, and James gets the message.

In first year, James and I made a secret code that if we ever need a talk to just raise one eyebrow ever so slightly. If you'll believe it, due to the fact that we were warring while at school for five years before he came to his senses, this is the first time I have ever used this signal, and the second time it ever has been used.

The last time it was used was on our very first day in first year, by James. He wanted to know what my pretty red-headed friend's name was. Huh, we've come full circle!

Making some sort of random excuse (which isn't really needed as Ali and Frank are now being questioned about their private time, with them having taken some at the same time as Sirius and I) James and I head out into the hall where there is nobody around, and I turn to face him.

"Something's wrong? What is it?" I ask bluntly, knowing that it is the best way to figure out James, or anybody!

I'm not a massive fan of mind games - I'm a very get to the point kind of gal!

"Big shock, I smelled Lily in the Amortentia! But...then she left. It was weird - like she wasn't feeling ok! I don't know Marly, I think I'm getting to close! I really don't think that I can stand being around her all the damn time! I...help me Marls, please!" he says, crouching down and covering his face in his hand.

Leaning down to the same position, I remove his hands from his face and wrap my arms around him. "Jamie, it's fine, really. Take some space if that's what you need! Just don't push Lily away completely, ok?" I say, and when we break apart I extend a sisterly arm to James and pull him to his feet.

He briefly hugs me again, and mutters, "Cheers sis!" in my ear, making me grin. "Ok bro!" I say, lightly punching him on the arm, making him laugh.

"I'll go down to see Lils sure, just to make sure that she's all right!" I say to him, and James chucks me his coat, saying that I shouldn't have to go all the way yo to my dorm in Gryffindor Tower to retrieve my own.

With a smile on my face, I set out to find my best friend.