Chapter Twenty-Seven - Plans, Plans And More Plans

James:

On Tuesday morning, Lily and I are just sitting at breakfast relaxing before the others come down and join us when Professor McGonagall approaches us. "Hello Miss Evans, Mr Potter." she says, her thin lips curved into a smile, "Professor Dumbledore would like to meet you in his office immediately after your lessons today to discuss something important.". "Thank you, Professor." Lily and I say as McGonagall walks away. Me and Minnie G are on good terms right now - last night she lessened Padfoot and I's two week detention punishment to only one week, which was really good of her. Lily was a little peeved off at me for 'ruining my reputation as Head Boy' and said that I should probably 'take better care of my position to make sure that I don't lose it'. I mean, she has a point, but the soot on Snivelly's face (that still hasn't come off!) is just brilliant!

Lil and I rush out of Charms the second Flitwick lets us go, anxious to hear what the news Dumbledore wants to tell us is. I say the password to the gargoyle ('Anglo Bubbly') and then head on in. We pause at the door and knock, and Dumbledore says, "Come in!". "Hello Professor Dumbledore. You wanted to see us?" I say, and Dumbledore gestures to the seats in front of his desk. "Take a seat." he says, and Lily and I sit down.

"So, I wanted to ask for your help on something. I was thinking that it might be a nice idea for our school to have a Christmas Ball this year. It shall only be attended by fifth years and up from all houses, and I believe that it would really lighten the spirits of our pupils. The younger students shall of course have their big feast earlier in the day, and then they shall get to have a small party of their own. Food shall be served at this party, which I was thinking should start at around eight. What do you think?" Dumbledore says, and I grin. A party! I am so in!

"Yes, Professor. That sounds great. Do you want us to plan it?" Lily asks, and Dumbledore nods, "That would be preferable, due to the fact that I believe my taste in music and parties is just a tad outdated. Now, we have the fortune that Christmas Eve lands on a Saturday night, so I believe that that would be an adequete time to hold the ball.". "This all sounds great. So, Lily and I need to find a band and sort out food and decorations?" I ask Dumbledore, and he replies, "Yes, if you are willing of course. Also, when it comes to dress - it should be formal. Suits or dress robes for the men, formal dresses or dress robes for the girls. Is that all right?". "Yes Professor. Is that all?" Lily asks, and Dumbledore nods and indicates for us to stand up.

"Thank you very much, Miss Evans and Mr Potter. I cannot wait to see what you put together. You may work with the prefects and your friends to help make this ball happen. Thank you again, and you may go." he says, and Lily and I shoot him parting smiles. "Thank you, Professor Dumbledore. Goodbye!" we say, before exiting the office.

Once we are in the hallway, Lily turns to me and says, "So, do you have any thoughts for a theme? Because I was thinking that it might be nice to do a 'Winter Wonderland' theme.". "That sounds great. We'll call a Prefects meeting tonight before Amos Diggory and Sarah Chang start on their patrol." I add, and LIly smiles up at me. "Oh! This is going to be so much fun! I can't wait!". "Me neither!" I reply, and we start planning out a few things on our way to the Head's common room.

When we arrive, all of our friends have already just let themselves in and are currently doing their homework. Well, all of them exceot Padfoot, who is currently eating Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, and spitting out the ones that he doesn't like. I clap him on the back of the head as I sit down. I work really, really fast at my homework, not taking any breaks, in order to try and finish it by the time Lily and I have to start the prefect's meeting. I really need to get it done because we have Quidditch practice tonight, and the big game against Hufflepuff is in a few short days.

Hufflepuff are going to be an easy enough side this year. Slytherin slaughtered them in their first game of the season, which isn't exactly good for Gryffindor. We have to try and score as much as we possibly can against Hufflepuff to make sure that Slytherin won't beat us in points. It's going to be great, the way that we play Slytherin in the very last game of the season. That's always the biggest fixture of the year, and this year it looks like it will be even more important. At the moment, Slytherin and Gryffindor are neck in neck with Gryffindor having won our first game by 330-70, and Slytherin having won theirs by 290-30.