Chapter Twenty-Two - Violence

James:

Pads and I are just joking around with each other as we walk. "Here, have you ever thought about connotations? 'Cuz I literally just thought of something and it's really confusing me!" he says, and I shake my head, laughing. "Pads, everything confuses that tiny little brain of yours!" I reply, and he just glares at me and rolls his eyes like the sarcastic little bitch that he is.

"Really though. Like, for example, if I said 'I'm sorry Mother. Please forgive me.' then it's a genuine apology, you know? But if I say, "Sorry mama. I've been very naughty!' that's just totally different!" he says, and I am in a state of momentary shock. What. The. Fuck.

That's when I burst into a bout of hysterical laughter. I literally almost begin crying as I stumble through the hallways, and I just keep replaying that sentence in my head. "How...the...actual...fuck did you come up with that?" I say through my very manly giggles, and he just looks at me. "Well, I guess that it means that I don't have such a small brain after all then, do I?" he says, and I just laugh even harder at this. "No, Pads! It means that you were DEFINITELY dropped on the head as a baby!".

He sticks his tongue out at me (very mature, I know) in response to this, and then gets a competitive look in his eye. "What?" I ask slowly, rather nervous (I HATE to lose these sort of competitions!). "Race ya!" he shouts, taking off down the hallway. "Fuck!" I mutter, beginning to sprint after him.

Due to the fact that my legs are (thank Merlin!) longer than his, I caught up to him quite quickly and we raced to the next corner. "Yes!" I scream as I reach it first, and Paddy looks EXTREMELY pissed off. I begin to laugh at his expression, and then we begin to walk normally again. Honestly, I'm just relieved that nobody was around there now! Simply because I'm not sure if the seventeen year old Head Boy should be racing around school corridors!

I look up the hallway, and to my immense displeasure and disgust I see Snivellous walking down the hallway towards us. I know that Padfoot wants to kill him almost as much as I do, but knows that he needs to distract me somehow. You know, so that I don't rip Snivelly's face off!

He gently grabs my arm, steering me down the hallway. We don't say anything as we pass, just glare at each other icily. I breathe a sigh of relief as he passes, and begin to walk down the rest of the hallway.

"Here, Pads. I was thinking, should we-" I begin to say, but can't finish my sentence as I'm suddenly flying through the air at a thousand miles an hour. My body crashes against the hallway wall, non-existent wind flashing around my ears, and I hit my head hard. I can hear the blood pumping in my veins, my heart trying to maintain a steady beat. The world starts spinning, and splotches of black mar my vision.  

I lay on the floor in a crumpled heap, and I can't focus on anything. It's just...blank. I hear a roar of anger, and the sound of a couple of spells flying around. And then...silence.

I feel something hot and sticky trail down my neck, sending more needless shivers through my spine. Who...? What? What is happening? I...I can't think of anyone who would do this! Unless...

Snivellous.

Of course! This gives me the burst of vengeful energy that I need, and I try to force my body from the floor. But I'm stuck. Completely stuck. That's when I hear another spell fired, followed by another one. I find myself able to move again, my binds cut. Dazed and confused, I slowly get to my feet and look wildly around me. But is he alone? Or are some of his death eater pals hear to help him?

As I go to reach for my wand, a flash of blinding light shocks my vision, and I fall to the ground once again. I am barely aware of the sharp pain in my chest - almost like someone has jabbed a knife into it and is now twisting it around. I try to move again, but it's no use, and the pain is growing now...