t e n

[this chapter takes place two years later :)]

(y/n pov)

You were just about to head into your bathroom to wash off your mask as there was a knock on your unit door. You sighed, heading back to your living room to get it.

You figured it was just a package delivery and opened your door ready to grab it. But instead, you were surprised to find your best friend. "Gray!" you said with a laugh. He chuckled, giving you a wave, the baby on his hip doing the same. "Elle-- oh my gosh," you said with a little smile. You stepped aside and Gray passed his niece over to you, who wrapped her arms around your neck.

"Surprise," Gray said with a laugh, taking his shoes off. He then reached over to help the one-year-old with her shoes too.

She poked at your face and you laughed, pulling it away. "I have to wash this off," you said, handing him back to her. "Make yourselves at home?" you asked with a smile. He chuckled and you heeded to your bathroom as he took Elle into your living room.

You came out, finding Gray on your couch, Elle walking around your glass coffee table, something thankfully round. "Hey," you said with a smile. "Anything to drink?"

Gray shook his head but looked at Elle. "You hungry?" he asked his niece. She stared at him and he raised his eyebrows. "Water?"

"I've got apple juice!" you sang, walking to your fridge.

"App juice?" she asked. You nodded. "Uh huh."

"Yeah?" Gray asked, pulling her into his lap. She nodded and watched as you poured a little into a plastic cup.

You handed it to Gray and he helped her drink it without spilling too much. "So," you said with a smile, plopping down on the couch in front of him. "What the hell?" He laughed.

"They went on their second honeymoon," he explained. Your eyebrows raised. "So I'm stuck with this one," he said, looking down at Elle.

She pulled away from the cup to look at him as if she'd understood what he'd said. He chuckled and ran his fingers through her very loose ponytail. You wanted to tighten it-- seeing as he did a terrible job.

"You drink, he's just being silly," you said. She looked at you and giggled before taking the cup into her own hands, one of Gray's supporting it.

"So, yeah, and I didn't want to keep her trapped inside my house for a whole week so we flew out here to see Grandma, didn't we?" he asked her. She nodded.

"G-ama." You smiled.

"And you," he said. You smiled, standing.

"Well, that's funny, because Lisa's supposed to come over in a bit too, so--"

"Mhm, we heard; we visited her at work right before we got here and she mentioned it." You nodded. Seeing as you lived further away from your parents than you would've liked, and having known Lisa practically your whole life, she was like a mother to you.

"So, you just drove here?" you asked him. He shook his head. "Flight?"

"Yeah, they left, yesterday in the morning, so around eight I got her asleep and hopped on a flight and we're here," he said with a chuckle. "Dropped our stuff off at my mom's place and yeah. We've been here all day-- that's why I didn't reply to your texts." you laughed.

"No, it's cool-- holy crap, thanks for the surprise," you said with a smile. Gray set Elle free and she wobbled around your carpet, looking for something to touch. You watched her for a second.

"Hey, Elle, you remember me?" you asked. She turned to you and giggled.

"Y/NN!" she cooed, using the nickname she'd given you the last time you'd seen her. Your eyes widened.