t h i r t y - s i x

AN// because someone insisted i post twice today :)

okay, this is a pretty long chapter, compared to the last two, so get ready!! i also wanted to mention that if you're reading this after reading the short version in my sad imagines book, i have changed some things. so there's a conversation hehe that gray and y/n had at the end of that series (on their one year) that they have in this chapter (on y/n's birthday). i just wanted to speed things up a bit because we have a lot more happening :))

(y/n pov)

"Ready?" he asked. You ran a hand over the skirt of your dress as you looked down at it, nodding.

"I think-- do I look okay?" you asked. He nodded.

"Yeah, gorgeous-- hey," he said. You raised an eyebrow as he took one of your hands, leading you to the bed.

"What's up?" you asked slowly, confused. He sat you down and sat next to you. You tilted your head. "Aren't we gonna to dinner?"

"We are, but I haven't given you your present," he said with a smile. You rolled your eyes.

"A present?" he nodded, standing back up and heading to the closer. "Grayson, you didn't have to get me anything," you said with a smile.

He came back with a box and you could already tell what it was. You sighed. "I know," he said, sitting back down. He handed it to you and you took it.

"Gray," you sighed, opening it to see the necklace inside. "You spend too much money," you whispered.

"Wow, not even a thank you?" You smiled, running a finger over the initial of the pendant.

"Thank you," you whispered. He smiled.

"Put it on?" You nodded and took the chain carefully out of the box and gave it to him as you turned to face away from him, looking in the other direction.

You held your hair up and off of your neck as he reached in front to wrap the chain around, the little G falling at your collarbones. You touched it as he fastened it. "Thank you," you said again, letting your hair fall back as you turned. He smiled.

"It looks nice," he said with a nod. Hands on his knees, he pushed himself. "Ready to go?" he asked, hand out. You nodded, letting him take your hand on your way down the stairs. You picked up your purse.

"Where's dinner at?" you asked. He grinned, pointing to a chair in the kitchen. He pulled it back for you and you raised an eyebrow, sitting down as you set your purse in your lap.

"Chez Grayson, sweetheart." You stared as he rolled the sleeves of his white button-up, up. "On the menu, we have-- well we're having vegan casserole because e/w sent me a recipe."

"Grayson," you laughed. "What?"

"What?" he asked, getting out a pot.

"You made us get all dressed up-- to stay home and eat?" He turned the stove on.

"Exactement-- I think that's how you say it." You laughed, head thrown back. "What?" he asked, turning to you.

"No, this is just--" you shook your head smiling. He turned the stove off.

"Hey, we can go out if you want, I just--"

"No," you said quickly. "No, no, I'm perfectly happy here," you said with a nod. You put your purse on the counter, pushing it out of the way as you stood again. You walked to where the fridge was, picking up the candle you'd made earlier that day.

"Hey," he said, looking over at you. "You're supposed to sit," he said, pulling on your arm. You laughed, tugging away to look for a lighter.

"I'm going, don't worry," you said with a smile. You found one in a drawer by the stove and took the candle to the island to light.