f o r t y - o n e

(y/n pov)

"Hey," you said, sitting back in your chair. "How's it going?"

"I'm gonna be late," he said, voice firm. Your eyebrows raised.

"Oh?"

"I'll call you on my way home," he said with a sigh. You hummed.

"Alright, lov--" but he hung up before you could finish.

With a frown on your face, you resumed to your own work, sitting at the desk he'd made you. You pulled your legs up, blanket around your shoulders as you went back to typing, your phone lighting up with a text soon.

gray: im really busy, sorry love you too

You shook your head as you replied with a heart and worked the rest of the afternoon away.

Just as promised, it was nine when Gray called you. Making dinner was his thing, something he looked forward to every day. And so you'd waited to see if he'd come up to make dinner. You wanted to call him and ask if you should get started on making something, seeing as it was getting late, but you didn't want to bother him. So you'd just waited, eating a snack here and there.

"Hey," he mumbled. You heard the car start as he spoke.

"Hey!" He didn't reply, you could just hear him sigh as he pulled out of the parking lot. "You just leaving?"

"Yeah, fucking pieces of shi--"

"Woah," you said with a smile, pulling your legs up onto the couch. "What happened?"

"Nothing-- no one does anything properly, that's what," he mumbled. "And then I have to yell and that makes me feel like an asshole but what else am I su--"

"Hey, Gray, calm down," you sighed. "What'd E do?"

"Nothing?" You frowned. "E/W had another appointment this morning, so he didn't show up all day." You sighed. "I didn't realize her appointment would take so fucking long."

"Gray."

"He doesn't even do anything, y/n, and then he shows up when he wants and freaks out over everything I've done." You propped your chin onto your palm, elbows on the couch's armrest.

"It's okay, Gray," you whispered.

"Can you make dinner tonight?" Your eyebrows raised. "I'm really hungry."

"Of course-- what do you want?"

"I don't really care." You shook your head as you stood up. "It's just not fair."

"Have you talked to him?" Gray sighed.

"I'm going to." You set a pot on the stove with water to boil. You waited for it to boil, leaning against the counter as you grabbed your bottle of antibiotics, needing to take the last pill with your dinner.

He was quiet for a little while so you spoke. "Hey?"

"Hm?"

"No just checking to see if you were still there," you said. You heard his flicker go off.

"Can you just stay here?" he asked. You poured some dry pasta in. "Just-- just stay on the line and do whatever you were doing?" You smiled.

"I'm just making dinner," you said.

"Okay." You set the phone down as you waited for your pasta to boil, getting the pasta sauce ready too.

You were just finishing up with it when Gray spoke again. You picked up the phone. "Hm?"