Part 13

Sasuke sat in his jail cell feeling more guilty about everything than ever. Of course Minnow would hate him, and she had good reason to.

He leaned back against the wall. He was so stupid. So blinded by revenge that he didn't take the time to appreciate the things he had. And now, he had nothing. Naruto, Sakura, and Kakashi were the only ones who had forgiven him and he was grateful for that. He killed his brother, the only sort of family he had left. He shattered his bond with Min. He hated himself for putting everyone through so much pain.

Sasuke perked up when he heard voices outside of his jail cell. It sounded like Naruto and Minnow. He heard their muffled voices.

"Come on Min, please just try to forgive him, for me?" He heard Naruto's voice say quietly.

He strained to hear what Min had to say but, alas, she said it too quietly for him to understand.

"Hey Sasuke! Good news, you're getting out of jail today," Naruto's loud and excited voice called out.

Sasuke heard the jiggling of a key into the lock. Once the cell had been opened, Naruto approached Sasuke and removed his blindfold.

Sasuke thanked Naruto as he took in his surroundings. He was mostly focused on Min though. His eyes drank up her appearance as she stood in his cell, leaning against the wall, and playing with a strand of her hair, not even acknowledging Sasuke.

His eyes lingered on her face, studying her features intently. Meanwhile, Naruto was undoing his straitjacket.

Sasuke slipped out of the jacket and stretched out his tense muscles.

Naruto led them out of the room and took them to a small room. Once Naruto had both Min and Sasuke in the room he smirked, "I'll check on you every now and then." And with that, he quickly ran out and shut the door behind him, locking it as he bolted.

Min's eyes widened as she banged on the door, "NARUTO YOU SON OF A- "

She let out a sigh as she sat down on the floor with her back to the wall. Her heart rate sped up as she realized she was in the same room as Sasuke. The man who killed her once before, who's to say he wouldn't do it again.

She felt his lingering stare on her but decided to ignore him as she played with her fingers.

"Listen, Min, I'm sorry. I want to work things out between us just give me a ch-" Sasuke began speaking.

"Sasuke, I want nothing to do with you," Min said in a soft, slightly shaky voice.

"Minnow, please," Sasuke said desperately, reaching out his hand to place it on her shoulder.

Minnow flinched as he got closer to her, causing him to freeze in his tracks. His eyes widened as he looked at his hand in worry. He'd traumatized her.

He lowered his hand, "is it okay if I sit near you?" He asked gently.

Min let out a small huff of air, "fine."

Sasuke settled down beside her, leaving about a foot of space between them.

"Min, I want our friendship back," Sasuke spoke softly.

"People like you always want back what they can't have," Min said icily.

"Min, how can I fix this," Sasuke asked.

"I don't know Sasuke, I think I just need time. No matter what you say, it won't take back the fact that you killed me. My entire life has just been hardship after hardship and I'm sick of it! First, I have to watch my family and clan get killed, our clan. Then, I get kidnapped and tortured by Danzo for my eyes. Then I get sold to the king and queen in the Land of Snow where I was tortured for another... what? Five years? And then just when I started healing from my emotional wounds, you, the only person I could truly relate to left the damn village right when I started falling for you," at this point, Min's tears were uncontrollable while Sasuke watched sadly.

"And then when we finally met again you tried to kill me there too. And the next time we met, you actually killed me. Do you know how much that hurts me, physically and emotionally? That the person I loved was able to kill me without a second's hesitation or regret." Min sobbed into her hands.

"But, the Sasuke I knew and loved is dead. You... you're nothing more than the shell of the person I used to love. I- I don't know you, you're nothing more than a stranger to me. I'm only human! I don't know how much more I can take! I feel like my heart is being continuously shattered faster than I can pick up the pieces again!" She cried.

Sasuke hesitantly scooted closer to the broken girl. He slowly wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her into a hug, letting her cry into his chest.

"Min, I'm sorry and I promise I'll never hurt you again, in any way, shape, or form. When I killed you, I cried for hours and hours. I thought it was a genjutsu. I thought killing you would make me stronger when in fact, during those terrible weeks of my life, I was doing worse than ever. Nothing has ever hurt me more than losing you like that, Min. And the reason why I didn't tell you before I left the village is because I knew that if I saw you, the girl I loved, I wouldn't have been able to leave."
He said, his eyes shining from unshed tears.

"Bloody hell Sasuke, I hate you so much," Min cried into his shoulder.

"But I'll try to forgive you, for Naruto and for my own peace of mind." She said softly as she pulled away from his hug a little and looked into his eyes.

Sasuke and Minnow got lost in each other's eyes, not realizing the distance between their faces lessening slowly until their lips were nearly touching.

That's when Naruto burst through the door, causing Sasuke and Min to separate in a flash before their lips could meet.

"Have you worked everything out then?" Naruto spoke with a cheeky grin.

"Naruto, you crazy knucklehead," Min sniffled with a small smile on her face.