Part 18

Min stood on top of the ship, leaning against the railing, looking out at the ocean. Her face was relaxed as she got lost in her thoughts.

She was pulled out of her thoughts when she noticed Sasuke walking up beside her and leaning against the railing while watching the ocean, mirroring her position.

"Hey," she said, not taking her eyes off of the rolling waves.

"Hey, Minnie," Sasuke said, also observing the waves.

Min raised an eyebrow and turned towards him, "Minnie?"

"Yeah it's a new nickname I came up with for you... cause your name's Minnow," Sasuke said, turning to face her.

Minnow giggled and playfully shoved him, "was Min not enough for you?"

A small smile graced Sasuke's face, causing him to look away to hide it, "Everyone calls you Min, I wanna call you Minnie."

Min let out a laugh as she watched the handsome man in front of her grow flustered.

"Whatever you say, Sasu," she said, scooting closer to him as she resumed her position of staring off into the ocean.

Sasuke smirked at the nickname and stood directly beside Min, watching the ocean as the waves crashed against the boat.

"It looks like it's about to rain," Min remarked, looking up into the graying skies.

"Yeah," Sasuke said, watching the skies go from a light gray to a deep gray, nearly black.

A few minutes passed as Sasuke and Min stood beside each other, leaning over the railing with their arms slightly touching. Then, it began to rain. It started as a slow drizzle at first but quickly escalated to a full on rainstorm. The waves grew larger and crashed against the side of the boat.

The boat rocked back and forth violently while Sasuke and Min were grasping onto the railing.

A looming wave grew beside the ship. Sasuke and Min's eyes widened in fear. There was no escaping this one—the boat was going to be engulfed by the water.

Sasuke ran over to Min while slipping and sliding on the now slightly flooded deck. He wrapped his arm around her tightly, pulling her into his chest.

"We're probably going to die aren't we," Min said quietly as the giant wave grew closer and closer.

He rubbed his hand up and down her back soothingly.

"We'll be okay."

"I can try diverting it. I'm not sure I can handle a wave that size but it's worth a shot," Min said as she stepped out of Sasuke's grasp.

Min began trying to stop the wave with by manipulating the water molecules, but the force of the wave was too strong.

"It's not working!!" Min screamed.

At that moment, Orochimaru, Chino, and Nowaki came onto the deck, soaked.

"There's a hole in the ship. We're going down!" Chino yelled.

Min bit her lip, quickly thinking of a solution. She took one last look at the crew behind her and dived into the raging ocean below her. If she couldn't stop the wave from above, the she would stop it from below.

"MINNOW!" Sasuke screamed, hopelessly grabbing the air where she had just jumped. He let out a deep sigh as he held his head in his hands.

"I shouldn't have let her come with me." Sasuke whispered quietly to himself.

He raised his head and without thinking, he jumped into the freezing water after her.