Part 14

"You called for me?"

Min was standing in Kakashi's office. Two years had passed since Sasuke had left on his redemption journey.

"Yes, we're just waiting on someone else right now," Kakashi said, leaning his elbows on his desk.

As soon as the words left Kakashi's mouth, the door opened and Sasuke walked in.

"You needed me?" He said in that stoic voice of his.

Min smiled upon seeing Sasuke enter the room. Since their talk two years ago, their friendship was restored and they still trained together from time to time when Sasuke was still in the village.

"Sasuke you're back!" She said happily, giving him a hug.

"Now that the two of you are here, Minnow, you will be accompanying Sasuke on his redemption journey," Kakashi chuckled.

"I have to do what now?" Minnow asked in confusion.

"No! What if she gets hurt?" Sasuke spoke at the same time.

Minnow glared at Sasuke, "I'm not a kid you know. I can take care of myself."

Sasuke shrunk under her gaze and both of them returned their attention to Kakashi.

"You will be accompanying Sasuke on his journey and that's an order. The villagers just don't feel comfortable with the thought that Sasuke's able to leave the village alone so I figured I'd send Min along. You'll be with him for around a year,"

"I have to spend a year with this idiot?" Min exclaimed at the same time that Sasuke yelled,
"I have to spend a year with this loser?"

"Now, now, no need to get so worked up. If you'd like Sasuke I can send Sakura along instead?" Kakashi spoke with a gleam in his eye.

Sasuke looked at the floor, "no, not her. She'll probably try to take advantage of me while I sleep."

"That's what I thought. Now go on, get going!" Kakashi said, pushing them out of his office.

Min and Sasuke walked alongside each other for a while without exchanging any words. It was a comfortable silence.

"So, uh, where are we going anyways?" Min asked, breaking the silence.

"There's a village about two days walk away that we have to go to," he replied casually.

"What do we have to do there?"

"Have you always been this annoying?" Sasuke joked, "they have exploding humans and you and I have to figure out what's going on there."

"Oh that doesn't sound like a fun time"

Sasuke hummed in agreement and they continued their walk for a few more hours until they decided to rest.

Min started up a fire in a cave where Sasuke sat across from her. They began eating some prepackaged onigiri.

As Min as eating, she felt Sasuke staring at her. An almost unnoticeable blush crept onto her cheeks. She finished off her food and licked her fingers.

She glanced up at Sasuke, who was studying her face, seemingly deep in thought.

His eyes studied her appearance. The way the light from the flames flickered across her face captivated him, but his gaze was fixated on the way her lips moved when she was talking. Wait- she was talking.

"Uh? Earth to Sasuke? Anyone home?" Min said, waving her hand in front of his face.

Sasuke shook his head slightly as if to snap him out of his daze.

"What is it?"

"I was just saying that you can go to sleep, I'll take the first watch," she said.

Sasuke nodded, feeling weird about the thoughts he was just having. He settled down on the cave floor before falling into a light sleep.