I.

I never felt lost in the Muggle World. I grew up in it and it was familiar and comforting at times. The comfort of walking down a crowded London sidewalk worked well on my first-day nerves. The London I was born and raised in by my Muggle parents. The plain sidewalks and buildings, plain cars and buses. All of it looked so mundane to me now but, before Hogwarts, I had no idea there was magic everywhere, right under our noses. 

Although I could've just used the chimney, I thought a long walk before getting to the Ministry of Magic would calm me down. I hope no one thought me using the visitor entrance was weird, since most in the Ministry don't use it.

I walked into the lonely bright red phone booth and dialed 62442. As the phone booth descended I said goodbye to the calm Muggle world above.    

Below it was different. Witches and wizards were rushing around, apparating, using the Floo Network and getting to their offices. I stood in awe watching the fast-paced environment and listening to the hum of chatting and shoes shuffling when I heard my name.

"Y/N! Over here!" 

I turned and saw Hermione waving me over to where she stood. Seeing a familiar face instantly brought me out of my shock and I headed over.

"Hey, Hermione. How are you feeling about today?" I ask trying to hide my nervousness with a smile.

"I'm very excited. I'm lucky I got into the Department of Magical Creatures so soon. The boys used to tease me so much but now I'm actually doing something with S.P.E.W! What about you though? You seem a bit nervous but isn't it great that you're in the Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee?" she replied. 

"I am nervous but excited too. I'm just... maybe I'm not the best person for the committee." I say shyly. Hermione rolls her eyes playfully then gives me a big smile.

"C'mon you got some of the highest marks at Hogwarts and you're worried you aren't right for the job? Nonsense, you're perfect. You're going to do great." She says and puts an arm around my shoulder. I smile, accepting her compliment.

"By the way, are Harry and Ron already at the Auror's headquarters?" I ask, suddenly realizing that they were missing. 

"Oh yes, they had to go in early today but they asked me to tell you good luck!" She said. I'm a bit upset that I didn't get to see them before my first day, and I think Hermione notices this since she puts her arm through mine as we start walking to our offices. 

"So this is where we part," Hermione says when we reach Level 3. My heart instantly starts to race.

"Yes, I suppose it is," I reply, looking towards the offices.

"At the end of the day, let's go get dinner. The four of us! That would be nice, wouldn't it? To celebrate a successful first day." Hermione suggests kindly. 

"That sounds perfect. We can meet in the Atrium at 6." 

"Great! See you then!" Hermione replies and goes off to her level. Now alone, I turn to take in my new workplace.