XXX.

I drift in and out of consciousness in what could have been seconds or hours. In passing time I try to build all the strength I can. I get feeling back in my fingertips and will myself to get up. To run to Draco's side, but I can't. 

"Draco..." I call weakly. Say something

"Draco!" I call louder. He doesn't call back. I slowly peel my arms off the ground and push myself up. Next is my legs. I can't stand, I know that for certain, but I push up on my knees. I drag myself to Draco's side as fast as I can, collecting our wands as I go. 

Blood is oozing from his nose and mouth. The ground around him is covered in it. I tremble at the sight of him so broken. I put my hand on his forehead and stroke his matted hair away from his face.

"Draco?" I cry. I can't tell if he's breathing and I inspect his body for any other wounds. I gently rest a hand on his chest and heard a sudden, sharp intake of breath. I look quickly to his face and see his eyes fluttering. Knowing that he's alive gives me all the strength I need to apparate us back to my house, on my bed. I kneel beside him and panic. 

"I don't know what to do," I sob, my mind scrambling for any spell that can fix him. 

"E-" he whispers and I lean closer to his mouth, hoping to hear him clearly.

"Ep-.. episk-" he struggles to get out but I instantly remember the incantation. 

"Episkey," I point my wand at his chest then up to his face. His split lip connects back together and his nose straightens with a disturbing pop. The pain-relieving properties of the spell seem to be working, as his tortured expression fades to one of relief. His eyes open wider and he reaches for his wand. 

"Brackium Emendo," he whispers, pointing his wand at his chest, and his ribs mend back together with a sickening sound. He takes a moment to breathe fully, with the full capacity of his chest. Tears stream down my face in gratitude, grateful that he's alive and healing. He doesn't take a moment longer to switch places with me, forcing me to lie down on my bed. He caresses my face, his eyebrows crossed up, looking as worried as if I was the one close to dying. He points his wand at my face and heals all the small cuts and scrapes that I never even noticed. 

"They tried to kill you," I choke, fighting back tears.

"I'm okay," he says, straight-faced. I search his eyes for any sign of what he's thinking but he's unreadable. I sit up, a bit dizzy, but fling my arms around his neck. I can't help it now but sob into him. The fear, the pain, finally processed in my mind. The torture curse was worse than I ever could have imagined, but it was even worse lying helpless on the ground, thinking Draco was dead. He pulls back and wipes my tears quickly, and get's up. 

"Where... where are you going?" I ask, confused. 

"I have to go," he says and panic shoots through me. 

"Why?" I ask, reaching out for him hoping it'd make him stay. 

"You'll be okay now, I have to go," he says again and walks towards my door. 

"No, Draco, please. Don't leave me," I beg. I try to stand up and go towards him but I stumble back into my bed. 

"I can't stay here!" he says. I look into his eyes and see, clear as day, fear. 

"I'm scared... Don't leave me here alone," I try again but this time he just walks out the door and closes it behind him. I let out a sob, waiting for him to rush back in, but he doesn't. Why would he leave? I accept that I will be alone for the night and look to my hand. There, Draco's ring is still secured on my finger. It's a bit smudged from the dirt outside but still radiant and beautiful. I bring it up to my chest, curl into a ball, and drift off into a dark sleep. 

Draco's POV

Out of all the terrible thing's I've done in my life, the worst was leaving Y/N alone, sobbing and begging for me to stay. Once I closed the door to her flat, I put every protection spell I ever knew on her door. No one would ever get in, no one would even get close without me knowing. 

The memory of her writhing on the ground in pain, screaming loud enough to make ears bleed, was etched into my mind. Another nightmare I'll remember forever. 

I apparated to the only person I could trust with her. The only person I knew who was capable of protecting her. 

I stood in front of Potter's house, a quaint and quiet place, and knocked on his door. I didn't know the time but it must be very late. A light turns on upstairs and I hear the faint sound of walking down the stairs. When the door opens, a girl with red hair stares at me in disbelief. She takes a step back but doesn't say a word. I don't have time for this

"I need to talk to Potter," is all I say. Before she even turns around to get him, he's standing there at the bottom of the stairs.

"What are you doing here, Malfoy?" he asks suspiciously. 

"Y/N and I were attacked-" I begin but the red-haired girl, Ginny, interrupts.

"Is she okay?" she asks, panicked. Harry looks at me, his eyes wide with worry. 

"She is now, she's at her flat." 

"You left her there alone?" Potter asks, suddenly very angry. Guilt spreads through me but I fight it back to continue.

"You don't understand. It wasn't whoever is killing muggleborns that attacked us. They were after me," I admit. Ginny wraps her night robe tightly against her as she crosses her arms and glances at Harry. Harry is deep in thought. 

"So why are you here then?" he asks. 

"We were outnumbered. There were six of them. I couldn't protect her and," I pause when I see he's looking at me expectantly," I know you can. You and Weasley and the rest of the Aurors." 

"What happened exactly?" he asks and it's my turn to get angry. 

"Why does it matter? We were ambushed and they used the cruciatus curse on Y/N for being a traitor to muggleborns. They're targeting her for being close with me," I explain, my anger subsiding as I realize my fault. Ginny gasps when I bring up the curse but Harry remains stoic. 

"We'll protect her, Malfoy, of course, we will. She's our friend," Harry says. 

"Thank you-" I begin but Harry starts again.

"But you need to stay away from her."

"What are you talking about, Potter?" I spit. 

"Y/N is already in danger of being killed by whoever is going after muggleborns. And now she's in danger from the exact opposite side? You put her life at risk in more ways than she would normally be in. She even has to deal with anti-muggleborn gossip at the Ministry. All because of you." he says, cooly. 

"Harry..." Ginny warns but he ignores her. 

"Y/N's life would be easier without you in it. Tonight never would have happened if you would have left her alone from the start." Harry finishes. I take in all these words and they're true. Being connected to me has put her in the way of more hardship than she would have gone through if she never met me. 

"Fine," I say and Ginny looks at me in surprise. 

"We'll take care of her," Harry ensures, before shutting the door in my face.