II.

"Y/N what would be your professional opinion of how to handle the recent incident?"

Oh, that's me. Ok so let's see. Drunken wizard brawl in public. A building went up in flames, no casualties but there was terrible damage to muggle property.

"I believe the best course of action would be to obliviate every muggle present. They should believe that it was a normal muggle fight but instead of seeing wands and spells, they'll be made to believe that the building caught on fire completely independent of the fight. That fire then caused explosions when the muggle electronics caught on fire which would explain the explosions from the spells cast." I finished, taking a deep breath. I looked around the room and saw other committee members turning towards each other, whispering. Then each, one by one, finally nodded approval.

"Well done Y/N. The committee agrees in unison." Billingsgate, the Head of Committee says and continues on discussing courses of action. I smile to myself and continue listening. Maybe Hermione was right, maybe I am perfect for this job.

When the committee session ends and I start packing up my things, Billingsgate walks over to me. Billingsgate, about 20 years my senior, still has his youthful looks about him. Tall with dark brown hair and deep brown eyes. When leading the committee he radiates sophistication, but once it ends he seems friendly and inviting.

"I'm very impressed with your work here today, Y/N. I know that I can expect great things from you moving forward." He says.

"Thank you so much, sir. That means a lot." I reply, probably very obviously flustered. I didn't expect to get praise on my first day.

"No need to call me sir," He laughs, "I'm on my way to the Obliviator Headquarters, would you care to join me? I want to communicate the idea that you so brilliantly came up with."

"Of course," I say and I follow him down the hall. It doesn't take long since we are on the same level but he stops in front of an office door.

"Oh, do you mind waiting outside the office? My friend here only really likes one person in at a time." He says with an apologetic smile.

"No, I don't mind," I reply, confused why he brought me here if I wasn't allowed in. He goes into the office and closes the door behind him. I sigh and stand next to the door awkwardly. Maybe he'll invite me in after a while. While I wait I can't help but overhear the conversation through the thin door.

"About the incident from Sunday, you should have your obliviators modify the muggle's memories to..." and I heard Billingsgate tell my idea, detail by detail. I waited for him to mention my name but he never did. A wave of anger washed over me. My studies, my idea and he took credit for it. It takes a lot of work to determine the best excuse that doesn't leave any loose ends and I don't even get partial credit for how long I thought about the incident.

"Wonderful idea! You never cease to amaze me!" exclaims the Lead Oblivator, Fudgel. I didn't notice the expression of pure anger that was spread across my face until I noticed someone staring. My eyes instantly softened, eyebrows unfurrowed. Even my mouth, which must've been pressed in a tight line, relaxed. I recognized this boy.

His white-blonde hair glinted under the office lights. His silver eyes refused to look away even after I caught him staring. Pale skin. An intense but indifferent expression. He looks so much older than the boy who introduced himself to me on platform 9 3/4. He's much taller, of course. But he also looks a bit skinnier, with his eyes looking darker from a lack of sleep. Despite the changes and despite all that time, I was sure it was him. 

It was Draco Malfoy.