XXVII.

The next morning, to my surprise, Draco is waiting outside my office right when I get there.

"Draco-" I begin but he interrupts.

"I didn't see you yesterday," he states and I feel guilty. At the end of our date, he said we would see each other the next day and we didn't.

"I'm sorry," I reach forward and grab his hand, "Billingsgate had me go to 9 3/4 yesterday and it took a long time, I didn't even have time to go back to the Ministry." I smile up at him apologetically and his expression softens.

"I was just worried," he says. His eyes look up to something behind me and he pulls his hand away from me. I turn around instinctively and Billingsgate and Fudgel are walking toward us. 

"Ah, Malfoy, great you're already here!" Fudgel says, "Good morning, Ms. Y/L/N." 

"Good morning, Fudgel, Billingsgate," I greet them. 

"Y/N, Fudgel and I were talking and we want you two to go to Hogwarts tomorrow and see how everything is holding up and if you think the current plan is still our best option," he says. My face falls at the realization that the negative thoughts about my plan are probably starting to be more widespread. 

"Of course, sir," I reply and Draco makes a face at the word 'sir'. 

"I still think your plan is great, some people just need reassurance," Fudgel adds. I wonder if he noticed my mood changed when Billingsgate implied otherwise. 

"Thank you," I say and smile. Even Draco gives him a grateful smile. I notice Billingsgate stare at the space between me and Draco's hands and I fold my hands in front of me from discomfort.

"Well, Draco and I are gonna head back to where we belong. Remember, straight to Hogwarts tomorrow morning," Fudgel says and starts walking away. Draco turns to me.

"Will I get to walk you home today?" he asks, slightly under his breath.

"Yes," I say but he waits a moment, expectantly, "I promise." That satisfies him and he walks off, only after giving Billingsgate a look that was barely short of a threat. 

"So, you and Malfoy are together?" Billingsgate asks plainly when Draco and Fudgel are out of view. Being alone with him makes me nervous but I will myself to turn to him. 

"Y-yes," I try to say without hesitation but it still feels like an admission of guilt to him, even though I don't have any reason to be guilty about. 

"I guess you didn't take my warning very seriously." I hear something in his voice, resentment maybe but it triggers something in me. Triggers an anger that he still tries to control me. 

"You were wrong about him," I say. It's probably the most certain I've ever sounded to him and he justs nods and walks into his office, shutting the door silently behind him. I let out a relieved sigh and go into my office. I sit at my desk and think about the details of my plan. It was the only plan we had, and I had support from Fudgel and McGonagall personally. It was just some unnamed Ministry workers who didn't agree. 

By some cruel irony, two people walk in front of my office. They're talking quietly but I can still hear them through my door and force myself to focus on their voices.

"You think she's actually doing any work in there?" a man asks. 

"With that failure of a plan she came up with, it'd be a surprise if that mudblood ever does any work," another man replies. The audacity these men have to say those things in front of my office makes a surge of courage flow through me. I walk to my door and swing it open, hoping to meet who were saying these things, face to face. Instead I open it and look straight at Billingsgate. I turn my head and see a glimpse of two men walk out of sight and I groan. I look back up at Billingsgate but he has a grave expression.