XIII.

Walking through Diagon Alley, I can sense that everyone is on edge. Maybe the news has already been spread around and everyone knows that it's possible a new dark wizard or Death Eaters can be lurking about. But I don't let it slow me down. I walk straight to the alley that leads to the hidden park, I walk with purpose. After he left suddenly from my apartment, I had a feeling he'd be waiting for me here since this is the only place I would know where he could be. I walk through the wall, and it turns out that I'm right.

Draco is standing under the tree and his face turns to me as I appear at the entrance. Without a word, he starts walking over to me and I start walking towards him but I don't let him get close enough. I pull out my wand and point it at him, he does the same but he hesitates which gives me the opportunity to do what I need to do.

"Expelliarmus!" I say and Draco's wand flies out of his hand and falls onto the ground, out of sight. Draco looks at me, hurt and confused, but he puts both his hands up. He doesn't plead with me or ask me why I did it, he just stares.

"Did you do it?" I ask, pointing my wand straight at him. He doesn't look scared, or even concerned anymore. He just stares at me defiantly.

"Did I do what?" he asks. I take a threatening step towards him, keeping my wand pointed at his chest.

"Did you kill that muggle family? Did you break into the ministry? Did you kill Elflock?" my voice breaks when I say Elflocks name and I clutch my wand tighter so he knows that I'm not weak.

"No." he replies, completely calm.

"No to what?" I demand.

"No to all of those things! I didn't kill anyone nor did I break into the Ministry! But do you even trust that I'm telling the truth?" he suddenly looks angry and I'm taken aback.

"Billingsgate told me not to trust you." I say.

"Of course he did. And you believe him because he's such a good guy, right?" he says mockingly. I think back to all those times Draco watched as Billingsgate left me outside of Fudgel's office or put his hands on me.

"Well, you were a Death Eater before. Everyone knows." I say, but I can feel my argument slipping. I don't really believe what I'm saying anymore. I don't think I ever believed he was capable of killing someone.

"I was." is all he says.

"Everyone is telling me I need to stay safe because Muggleborns are going to be targeted." I say after a short moment of silence. He rolls his eyes.

"Honestly, Y/N? Don't you think that if I wanted to hurt you I could have already? I mean for Merlin's sake, Y/N, I had you here alone a few days ago and was alone with you in your apartment earlier today. Think. Those were perfect opportunities, but I didn't because that's not what I want to do!" I let out a sigh because I know he's right. I lower my wand.

"Now I think that you should tell me sorry," he says and I glare at him.

"Not gonna happen," I say, "Accio Draco's wand." His wand flies up from where it laid a bit of ways from us and directly into my hand. Draco steps forward and starts reaching for it but I pull it away.

"I think we need to talk first." I tell him and he frowns.

"You don't trust me with my wand?" he asks and I shake my head.

"I don't want you to disapparate before I'm done with you." I say and he scoffs.

"Fine." he sits under a tree and waits for me to join him. I take a minute to tuck his wand away and take a seat near him.

"Why have you been so confusing towards me? Telling me you don't want to waste time on me then coming to my apartment unannounced and demanding that I let you in! It doesn't make sense!" he looks away as I say this and doesn't answer.

"Let me remind you that I'm not giving your wand back until you tell me the truth!" I say and he scowls.

"I can't talk to you without you having to face consequences from Billingsgate. Isn't that right? Haven't you noticed that since I've been avoiding you, Billingsgate has been much more civil towards you?" he says. I never though to connect those two, but he's right. Billingsgate has been nicer to me since Draco has kept his distance.

"So what, you're staying away from me to protect me from Billingsgate's rudeness? I can handle him on my own I don't need you to make decisions for me!"

"You don't understand. Even at Diagon Alley, you wouldn't dare let yourself be seen with me. Admit it! What's the point of talking to you if we always have to hide?" he says and I instantly feel guilty.

"You push me away, so there's not much to be open about anyways." I say, feeling childish. I resent him for these confusing feelings, it's hard to make sense of them. I know part of what he says is right but I also feel like he's wrong.

"I guess there's not." he says and we sit in silence for a long while.

"I thought you were going to explain what you meant about me not being safe?" I ask him when I finally feel more calm.

"Well, I'm sure Billingsgate already told you once I left. The Muggleborn Registry records. Even though you thought I was the one you had to be afraid of." he answers. I sigh, feeling bad, and hand him his wand.

"I'm sorry. You can leave now." I tell him but he just takes his wand and continues to sit.

"No, I'm going to stay." he says.

"Do you want me to leave?" I ask.

"No." he replies, so I stay seated. After I sit and think over the whole day I start to tear up. I thought I could hide it but he turns at me right as a single tear rolls down my cheek.

"Why are you crying?" he asks, looking uncomfortable.

"Because people are dead. Elflock, my friend, is dead. More people are probably going to die. It's just like when Vold-," Draco winces as I start to say the name so I change my wording, "Sorry. It's just like when I had to go into hiding."

"I'm sorry about your friend." he says.

"I knew it wasn't you. I was just... afraid." I say, trying to apologize for earlier.

"I understand."

"Thank you for coming to check on me today." He smiles a bit, just a bit, as I tell him this.

"I was... worried about you." he says, struggling to get the words out. He strikes me as someone who doesn't open up about feeling so I appreciate the little he's telling me.

"Can we be friends now? Like, actual friends. We can talk whenever and we can go out in public and you won't try to hurt my feelings so I'll leave you alone." Draco rolls his eyes at this.

"Ok, we can be friends. On one condition." he turns to me with a mischievous look in his eyes. I raise an eyebrow at him and he continues.

"You have to tell Potter."