III.

I waited for him to turn away. Most people turn away when they're caught staring, but he didn't. I was trapped in eye contact with him. I felt my cheeks burn and I quickly turned my head and stared at the floor. Maybe he'll just go away.

Right after that moment, Billingsgate steps out of the office smiling from a joke that must've been told right before he walked out. He turned to me.

"Ah, Y/N," He said as if he was surprised I was still there and placed a hand on my waist which made me shudder, "Fudgel loved your idea. Keep up the good work." He smiled with a wink and walked away before I could respond. I watched him walk away, completely in shock from what happened. Does he know I heard him take the credit for my work? 

I looked back to see if Draco was still staring and I saw his eyes following Billingsgate. His eyebrows were slightly crossed as if he was contemplating something. His eyes then flashed back to me and I quickly turned and walked away. 

I met Hermione in the Atrium and she seemed ecstatic.

"Oh, Y/N, it was amazing! I love the work everyone is doing and I think I'm really going to make a change." She says, hugging me. I hug her back and the uneasy feeling from the Billingsgate situation and seeing Draco washed away. 

"I'm so glad," I say. Before Hermione can go on about her day, Harry and Ron walk up together. 

"Hey Y/N! How was your first day?" Harry asks while Ron goes directly to Hermione giving her a kiss on the cheek and putting his arm around her waist. Ron's arms around Hermione's waist makes me think of Billingsgate unwelcome hand and the uneasy feeling returns. 

"It was... interesting. Let's talk more about it at dinner because I'm starving." I say, trying to change the subject.

"Y/N's speaking my language! I'm starving, too!" Ron says. 

"How about a restaurant in London, for the fun of it?" Harry suggested. 

"Sounds good to me. Let's go." Hermione replied and together we went on our way up back into London.

We picked a quiet diner for dinner tonight, someplace where we could have a comfortable conversation without having to yell over others. Hermione and Ron sat on one side of the table and Harry and I sat together on the other side. We shared a plate of chips and talked about our first day.

"Everyone at the office thought S.P.E.W. was brilliant! I wish you boys were there to hear them. You always used to make fun of me for that idea but it actually might be important one day." Hermione said, pointing a chip at each of the boys before taking a bite. 

"I was just a boy then, sweetheart. I now know you and all your ideas are brilliant!" Ron replied playfully. We all laughed but a sick feeling in my stomach kept arising.

"By the way, have you guys heard much about the Head of the Muggle-Worthy Excuses Committee, Billingsgate?" I ask, hoping to learn more about him and his reputation.

"He's really respected in the Ministry of Magic. He's really close with all the departments and he got brought up a few times in the Auror's Headquarters for his help covering up some incident with the Auror's not too long ago. He seems friendly enough." Harry said. 

"Why do you ask, Y/N? Did something happen today?" Hermione asked. I instantly felt embarrassed. I knew she was smart enough to catch that something was wrong.

"Well, today, he brought me along to the Obliviator Headquarters but left me outside the office while he told the Head Obliviator my idea without giving me credit..." I trailed off, feeling foolish for making it a big deal.