XXXV.

When I woke up in the morning, the first sensation my mind focused on was the absence of the cool metal around my finger. I panicked and searched around the bed sheets until I remembered where it was. Safely tucked away in my dresser drawer. I stared at the dresser, my eyes still slightly unfocused from just waking up, and debated on whether to put it back on again. The feeling of my heart racing from waking up in a panic unsettled me. Would the ring ease my stress?

No, I decided. It would stay where I left it.

I got out of bed and started getting ready. Once Harry and Ron came here as part of my auror cycle, they'd bring me along with them to the cafe. I was excited and nervous. Excited because I'll finally be able to go outside! And without any babysitters! But, nervous because of the memories I knew I would have to face, the memories I knew that the cafe would bring up.

I heard two faint pops of Harry and Ron apparating into my house and, after a quick and quiet exchange, the sound of two more pops of the night-shift aurors disapparating.

"Just a minute!" I called out to them from my room. I quickly put the rest on the rest of my outfit and walked into the living room. Harry and Ron were sitting at my kitchen table, helping themselves to the food they must've found in my fridge.

"Didn't think to ask first?" I asked them, raising an eyebrow.

"It's our payment for being your personal bodyguards," Ron says with his mouth full. I can't help but laugh.

"The Ministry already pays you!" I tease, "Anyway, where's Hermione?"

"Hermione is already there just checking out the area first. She's making sure that Billingsgate or anyone else that knows we shouldn't be out is not there," Harry explains. I nod in understanding then grab a green apple from my fruit bowl as breakfast.

"Okay, well I'm ready. Let's go," I say and the boys quickly gulp down whatever food was left in their mouths.

"Let's go," Ron agrees and we disapparate at the same time.

We appear just outside the cafe and Hermione is standing nearby, waiting for us. She has her head lowered slightly to blend in and walks straight over to us.

"It's all clear," she tells Ron and Harry while giving me a hug, "How does it feel to be out?"

"Pretty good," I reply, taking a dramatic deep breath of air. Hermione chuckles and turns to the boys.

"I think we should start by asking the workers and see what they know. Maybe one was there the same day," Harry suggests.

"Good idea," I say, and the rest nod in agreement. We walk into the cafe and notice that it's mostly empty either from the fact that it's the least busy time of day or that people would want to avoid this place after what happened. The first worker I see is the waitress who I recognize from one of the times I was here with...him. She turns and makes eye contact with me and her face lights up in recognition. I watch, confused, as she walks straight to me.

"Hi! I remember you from a while ago. How are you?" she asks. I stare at her wide-eyed and I hear Ron chuckle beside me.

"Well that was easy, wasn't it?" I hear his whisper to the others.

"Um, hi. I remember you, too. I've been okay, how about you?" I ask politely, still taken aback by her seemingly out-of-the-blue friendliness.

"I've been okay, too. Things have been a bit scary lately, since what happened the other day and all..." she trails off but immediately changes the subject, "That boy you were with when I last saw you is here all the time! I always expect to see you but you never come," she says and my heart starts to race at the mention of Draco.