XXXII.

After that night, the days grew painfully boring. Harry and Ron came over often but they eventually had their own business to attend to and random Aurors would quickly take their place. Some would be friendly enough and talk to me while others would sit silently until their time was up. Billingsgate would sometimes stop by to update me on my plan. It seems he's kept his promise to protect my plan and I was actually grateful to him for that. He assured me that he believed it was the best option to keep all the muggles and muggleborns in one place for now and others in the Ministry were listening to him. Obviously, he still had more influence than I did, especially when he was set on his decision. 

I only had a week left of my mandatory rest period but it felt like an eternity away. I sat at my kitchen table with two Aurors, Matthews and Collins. They were the more friendly pair that would serve as my protection so I cooked them breakfast and was listening to them chat about work. 

"Everything's been pretty quiet. There haven't been any more attacks on muggleborns since...well..." Collins trails off, not wanting to bring up what happened to me the week before. 

"Since me," I finish and take a bite of my eggs. Matthews and Collins exchange a nervous glance but continue talking. 

"Yeah, but isn't it great? Your plan is working, no doubt!" Matthews encourages and I smile at him politely. 

They continue talking about other things but I tune them out. It was nice to know that my plan was still working but I felt trapped here, and I missed Draco terribly. In that whole week he didn't stop by for even a second nor did he send a letter. It was like he disappeared. When I tried to bring him up everyone just explained he was still working with the Obliviators and changed the subject. I glance down at the Malfoy ring and grimace. It was pathetic of me to keep wearing it but I couldn't bring myself to take it off. Some part of my brain was hanging on, convincing myself that if he truly didn't want to see me anymore he would have taken his family heirloom back first. 

"Thanks for breakfast, Y/N, it was really good," Collins says and it brings me out of my daze. 

"Oh, you're welcome," I say and he blushes. I glance over at Matthews and see him trying to hold back a chuckle. Oh, great.

"Well, we have the whole day ahead of us and we can't leave my flat so... what do you two want to do?" I ask, trying to change the subject. Matthews and Collins look at each other then shrugged. I sigh and pick up my tv remote. Movie it is. Again. The two take a seat on my couch and stare at the tv screen. It's a movie I don't recognize but it seems to be some kind of action movie and it's loud. Suddenly, an idea springs into my head. I take the remote and increase the volume just enough to drown out any background sounds. I look to the Aurors on the couch and see a space next to Collins and sigh. Sorry, Collins, but I need to go find someone

"I think I'm going to go lie down for a while," I tell them and Collins frowns, obviously disappointed.

"But you just got up a few hours ago-" he says but Matthews elbows him. 

"That's alright. We'll be here if you need us," Matthews replies and I smile at him. Collins shifts so he fills up the spot that I assume was left for me and I feel a pang of guilt. Collins was cute and friendly, but I couldn't stay here a day longer without at least talking to Draco. I had to go.

"Enjoy the movie," I tell them and go into my room, closing and locking the door behind me. I take a deep breath and think. They shouldn't bother me if they think I'm sleeping so I should have enough time to find Draco. I couldn't show up at the Ministry and look for him and the only other place I could look was the park at Diagon Alley. It was a long shot but I stood, concentrating on visualizing the scenery in my mind, and disapparated.