XVIII.

The next morning I'm in an unusually good mood. Every aspect of my life seems to be looking up now. When I get to my office, Fudgel and Billingsgate are waiting for me. Fudgel seems friendly and happy while Billingsgate looks a bit annoyed once I enter.

"Good morning Y/L/N!" Fudgel says, shaking my hand in greeting.

"Good morning, Fudgel. What brings you to the committee today?" I ask, smiling. I can tell Billingsgate is taken aback by Fudgel's friendly behavior towards me so I completely ignore him for now.

"Well, I overheard conversation around the Ministry about a bright young woman coming up with a fantastic idea to protect the Muggleborns and I immediately thought it was you," he says and I glance over at Billingsgate to read his expression. So, Billingsgate didn't tell Fudgel about my idea probably to avoid having to tell him I'm the one who came up with it.

"The Hogwarts idea? Yeah, that was me," I say shyly, "You think it could work?"

"Of course it'll work. I wanted to come down and personally express my support for the idea and ensure that the Obliviators will be at your disposal."

"I really appreciate that. The Obliviators will really help when it comes to having to relocate so many people, thank you." I say.

"No problem at all. I have to get back to the HQ now and let my people know about the plan. I'll be seeing you both again very soon." he finishes and walks out of our office. I look to Billingsgate and he looks back at me.

"May I have a word in my office?" he asks and I'm instantly filled with dread.

"Of course, sir." I say and follow him to his office. He closes the door behind me, like he always does, and sits in his chair.

"I just want to say how impressed I am with your performance as of late." he says and I'm genuinely surprised. I try not to show it but that was not at all what I was expecting of him.

"T-thank you, that means a lot to me." I say, suddenly feeling a swell of pride. Maybe now that I've proved myself more than adequate at my job, he will respect me more.

"I know I made the right choice giving you the opportunity to prove yourself," he says. I raise my eyebrows a bit but don't respond. What is he trying to imply?

"Of course, if I hadn't pushed you the way I did, you would not have come up with such a plan. The right amount of pressure encouraged you to work and think harder," he continues and I'm dumbstruck. He's still trying to give himself credit!

"Maybe..." I respond and he smiles.

"Yes, and I already made contact with the Auror Headquarters to let them know about the plan," he says.

"My plan," I say before thinking. He lets out a chuckle at this.

"Yes, yes. Your plan. Within the next few days we will have to go to Hogwarts and talk to Headmistress McGonagall about this idea. But you're done for today, you may go," he finishes and looks down at the papers on his desk. I have nothing to say to him so I leave immediately. He acted strangely just then. He didn't exactly try to act as if he was above me yet he made it seem that he was a bigger part of the plan process than he actually was. I shake off the odd interaction and go back to my office, planning what I would say to McGonagall when I see her.

At the end of the day, I bump into Hermione and Ron.

"Hey, Y/N, it's been quite a while since I last seen you. How are you?" Ron asks, giving me a small hug.

"It has been a while, I feel like I've been so busy. Things can get a bit hectic at the committee but how about you?" I ask while giving Hermione a hug as well.

"It's been the usual amount of crazy back at the Aurors. We just heard about the Hogwarts idea from your committee, actually," he says.

"Ah, do you know who came up with the idea?" I ask, wanting to know if Billingsgate gave my credit.

"No, actually. They didn't say but I assumed it was Billingsgate..." he replies. Unbelievable.

"It was your idea, wasn't it?" exclaims Hermione. Ron turns to me in surprise.

"Your idea? I believe it! That's brilliant, Y/N, everyone was very impressed with the idea." Ron says and I smile.

"Thanks, but it's a bit annoying everyone at the Aurors assumes it's Billingsgate's idea."

"Don't worry about that, I'll make sure to mention your name to everyone tomorrow morning," he says with a wink. I laugh until I see Hermione and Ron's expression change suddenly. Their smiles fade and their eyes are focused on something behind me. Someone.

"Hello Granger, Weasley." I hear and I turn around to see Draco standing right next to me.

"Hello," Hermione says hesitantly. Ron stays silent and just glares at Draco. Draco smirks a bit and I can tell this isn't going to go so nicely.

"Haven't you ought to show a little more manners since we'll be seeing each other much more often now, huh, Weasley?" Draco says and I look up at him with a glare. Ron takes a threatening step forward.

"I don't have to show you anything, Malfoy," Ron says with venom in his words. Hermione puts a hand on Ron's arm to calm him down.

"Alright, well, we'll see you around, Y/N," Hermione says without acknowledging Draco again. Ron takes just a small moment to glare at Draco then his eyes turn on me. His expression is softened but he looks confused, and a bit hurt. I feel a sting of guilt and I hope he can see it in my eyes. He turns and I wait a moment as Hermione and Ron walk away. I then turn to glare at Draco and he just looks smug. I groan and turn away from him to start walking home on my own.

"Hey, Y/N, wait," Draco says and he catches up with me effortlessly.

"I actually don't need you to walk me home today. Leave me alone," I say, not even bothering to look at him.

"Are you mad?" he asks and I pause.

"Are you joking? Am I mad? You were just rude to my friends, Draco, we had conditions!"I say and he rolls his eyes.

"Granger and Weasley weren't part of our conditions," is all he says and I just stare at him, completely speechless.

"Well, okay, that's another condition then! Although I had hoped you wouldn't need a condition to just act civil for once!" I say.

"So, is it a condition to be nice to Granger and Weasley? That's all?" he asks, acting totally nonchalant.

"How about you just be nice to everyone!"

"Everyone? Every single person?" he asks and I groan.

"Why are you so difficult? It's not hard to be polite," I say, fuming.

"Alright, alright. I will be civil towards Potter, Granger, Weasley, and everyone you want me to be civil towards. Does that sound about right?" he asks.

"Perfect," I say, rolling my eyes. I know he's finding this amusing but I'm still feeling guilty about Ron. I wonder if he feels betrayed.

Once we get to my door, Draco steps forward to kiss me but I turn my head just in time for him to kiss me on the cheek.

"Still mad, Y/N?" he asks, playfully.

"It's not funny, Draco."

"Ok, you're right. I'm sorry for being rude to your best friends and it won't happen again," he says sweetly and leans back down for another kiss. I turn my head again and he groans.

"Are you trying to punish me?" he asks.

"I guess you can see it that way. You have to prove to me that you can be polite to them and not just tell me you will." I say and he sighs. We stand there for a moment but I can't help myself. I pull gently at the front collar of his shirt to pull him closer to me and kiss his cheek.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Draco," I say, walking through the door.

"See you," I hear him say as I close my door behind me.