XXVI.

The morning after I was still in a dreamy state from my day with Draco. The morning was more pleasant than usual and I didn't feel the dread that would arise when I thought of having to face Billingsgate. 

Once I arrive, the Ministry seems surprisingly calm. At this point, every department has its orders to fulfill to follow through with their part of the plan. It's a nice feeling, knowing I could influence so much change within the Ministry and the departments accepted my plans without resistance. I walk down the hallways like I always do until I hear my name being brought up with a group of Ministry workers. I wait behind the corner to see if I can overhear what was being said about me.

"I can't believe Draco would take her on a date," a woman's voice snickers and my blood goes cold.

"Me neither but Victoria told me she was sure she saw them together at Madam Puddifoot's yesterday and apparently, he really showed off," another woman's voice explains. The group laughs together. I grow a bit nervous that they'll suddenly jump around the corner and catch me eavesdropping but something doesn't let me walk away. I want to hear what they say. 

"I wonder if she's especially interested in the Malfoy fortune," a man's voice suggests and it makes me grimace. His family's money never occured to me, but it has occured to these people. They can't be the only ones who wonder the same thing. 

"I wouldn't doubt it. A bit shameful that she's going after the Malfoy inheritance although she swears to want to protect muggleborns. She knows the Malfoy history, she's a hypocrite." 

"Oh, it doesn't mean a thing that she's going after Draco's money, she would never get near it. You think Lucius and Narcissa would allow their son to muddy up their bloodline?" the woman from earlier jokes and the rest laugh with her. Out of all things, this hurts the most. People who don't know me, or Draco, deciding whether we should be together because of who we were born to. 

"Besides, Draco could just be using her to get on the Ministry's good side. As if someone like her could catch his eye," a woman cackles and that's when I decide to tune them out. Draco's words to me from the day before, about how he had noticed me many times at Hogswarts, flashes through my mind and I know they were truthful. Why would I allow these miserable, bitter people try to ruin my mood. I step out from behind the corner and walk on as if I didn't hear a thing. The faces they make when they see me are priceless. I smile at them politely and knowingly but walk off without saying a word. The lingering feeling of insecurity settles in the pit of my stomach. Of course I knew about Draco's past, especially about his parents, but would that really stop us from having a future together? I push the thoughts aside and walk into the committee office. Billingsgate is waiting outside my office and I'm suddenly anxious. 

"Good morning, Y/N" he greets me casually.

"Good morning s-" I stop myself from saying sir and he either doesn't notice or pretends not to. 

"Well, I just wanted to ask you to go down to platform 9 3/4 and oversee the transportation of the muggle families, make sure none of them get lost or draw too much attention to themselves," he says. Even though I dislike him, I appreciate that he doesn't bring up anything about his attempted kiss. 

"Yes, I'll be on my way," I reply and feel grateful I won't have to spend the day with him. I apparate to the platform as soon as I can and when I get there it's unbelievable. There's long lines of groups of people. I see older children lined up together looking nervous and I also see single or two parents with young children and even babies. Children run around chasing each other and parents try their best to calm their crying infants. 

"Hello, when do you think we will be able to board?" A tired looking woman asks me politely. I look down into her arms and see a baby sleeping peacefully despite all the noise. The baby must be a wizard and it makes me smile. 

"I'm sorry ma'am, I just got here," I apologize, "But I'm going to go and see what's going on and we'll try to get everyone boarded as soon as possible." The woman smiles at me as a thanks and goes back to gently rocking her baby. Although I hoped transportation would go smoothly, I knew this was probably the more realistic outcome. The train ride to Hogwarts was very long and to make the trip efficient, we would have to schedule as many people in one trip as possible. 

Looking around I recgonize Harry and Ron standing together in the crowd.

"Harry! Ron!" I call to them while trying to get through. Ron looks around until he see's me and his eyes light up, he elbows Harry and he too turns to see me. 

"Am I glad to see you, Y/N! This place is chaotic," Ron says and I laugh.

"It really does seem that way. Is there an issue with getting people to get on the train?" I ask and Harry scoffs. 

"There's many issues. Some want to be let on first, especially those with babies, and no one is cooperating. It's going along slowly but it's getting there," Harry replies. I look to the front of the line, near a train door, and a man is arguing with a Ministry worker while he tries to direct people on.

"I hoped it would be a little easier, but it's hard to have so many people in one place," I say. 

"A lot of people at the Ministry aren't happy about it, either," Ron blurts out and Harry shoots him a look.

"What do you mean?" I ask and Ron and Harry look at each other before Harry sighs. 

"I didn't want to bring it up but there have been whispers that doing this is unnecessary and a waste of time. I don't believe that but I didn't know if you've been hearing those whispers as well," Harry explains and my heart sinks. 

"I expected there to be some who didn't like the idea..." I admit. 

"But the idea is brilliant! A few complications will be every bit worth it for keeping these people safe," Ron says supportively and I smile at him. 

"I suppose... I just find it discouraging that some don't seem to care about protecting the muggleborns. I guess I should have expected it..." I say, remembering how plagued the Ministry had been with antimuggleborn sentiment just years before.

"Don't worry about them. Enough of the important people supported your idea and that's what matters," Harry encourages. I look around and take it all in again. Under the mask of a platform in chaos, are just people who are afraid. The muggleborn witches and wizards that are old enough to come on their own, cling together and try to keep each other company despite being away from their family. Parents take turns holding their babies and tending to their children. Yes, this was worth protecting. 

My eyes draw back to the woman who approached me earlier. Her baby had awakened and she tried her hardest to calm him down.

"I'll be right back," I tell Harry and Ron before going to her side.

"Hi, I'm still not sure how long this will take but will you follow me?" I ask her. 

"Yes," she says and I lead her to the front of the line of people, to the Ministry worker. 

"Can you let her in first? She's exhausted and her baby needs somewhere not so quiet," I ask and the Ministry worker looks from me to the woman then back at me.

"Of course, Ms. Y/L/N," he replies and waves the woman in. Before going, she squeezes my arm.

"Thank you so much," she says with teary eyes. I smile at her and imagine what she must be going through, to be alone and fearing for her babies life. I look back to Harry and Ron and they're smiling at me. 

After just a few more hours, the rest of the people are led into the train and the Hogwarts express can finally depart. 

"Only a few more days of transport to go," Ron says, accomplished. The three of us laugh, slightly delirious from the long day.

"Yes, only a few more days."