XXXIX.

Once I turned the corner of the house he was standing, waiting.

"It's very creepy of you to just show up uninvited, you know," I scold. Draco shrugs but I can tell he really doesn't feel as nonchalant as he is letting on.

"You weren't answering my letters," he explains.

"Don't you think there might be a reason for that?" I blurt out harshly. His eyes widen and I take a deep breath. I want to be mature about this like George suggested, but it's harder now that he's in front of me.

"I know..." he trails off in a whisper. He looks down at my hand with his ring on it and I stuff it into my pocket, embarrassed.

"I wore it, like you asked," I explain and he lets out a small laugh.

"I know you did," he replies and I raise an eyebrow, confused.

"The ring has a charm on it and it's linked with mine. I know where you are and if you're safe when you wear it," he continues and I sigh. It's just another thing someone has done to protect me.

"It's also kind of creepy of you to be tracking me," I say, trying to lighten the mood despite myself.

"A small price to pay to ensure your safety," he admits quietly.

"You've paid bigger prices. In fact, I've paid bigger prices," I say, bringing up the way he left me. Draco winces but recollects himself.

"Knowing what I do now, I would never have done it," he says.

"Did you honestly believe I would be safer without you?" I ask, trying my hardest to contain the emotion that was threatening to burst out.

"I did. You don't know how I felt... when we were cornered on that street and I knew there was no way out. It was worse when I realized that it was because of me, that they hurt you because of me. I thought if I stayed away from you, they'd think you changed your mind and stop going after you."

"But why couldn't you just say so? Why did you have to hurt me in the process?" I ask, quickly wiping away a tear. I guess I failed at containing my emotions. Draco looks at me with sad eyes and I can tell he wants to reach out to me, but I instinctively take a step back.

"I knew you wouldn't have given up otherwise. You've never given up on me," he says. I take a moment to search his eyes.

"Did you mean it? Any of what you said to me that day?" I ask, remembering all the cruel words.

"No, I meant none of it although that doesn't excuse what I said. It hurt me to say it, more than you know," he takes a step toward me, "Could you believe it if I said I did it all because I love you? Misguided, yes, but it was all I thought I could do at the time." My breath catches in my throat.

"Draco..."

"I love you, Y/N. I want nothing more than for you to be safe. I have a habit for attracting danger and messing things up and I don't want that for you because I love you. I-" he goes on but I don't want to listen to another word. I let my feet carry me to him and I pull his face to mine, kissing him. I let it all consume me. The pain and anger I still felt but also the relief I felt from finally being with him. My love for him. He wraps his arms around me, pulling me closer into him. I can tell by the urgency of his lips that he's missed me as much as I missed him. The need was so obvious between us. Then I pull back, placing my hand on his chest to push him back a bit.

"I love you, Draco. But I still need time," I admit and he nods.

"I know. I'll give you anything you need," he says quietly and I smile up at him. We stand silent for a moment until loud laughter carried from inside the house interrupts.