XXII.

The next few days were pure chaos. Coming up with the plan was easy in comparison to the effort to implement it. Aurors and Obliviators were being given assignments. Owls were being sent out constantly and for the special cases, Ministry workers had to visit the muggle houses to explain the situation. The Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee was tasked with reviewing special cases. 

"How are we supposed to go to work?" 

"How will I pay my rent?" 

"How long will my child have to miss school?" 

"What am I supposed to tell my family and friends about me leaving?" 

The questions and concerns the muggles have were expected and valid, but overwhelming nonetheless. Thankfully, this far into the process, Billingsgate was being cooperative and looked for solutions rather than trying to challenge mine. The busyness actually forced us to push aside any tension so our work together flows. 

After today's committee meeting, Billingsgate and I spend extra time in his office discussing specifics. 

"Well I think the Obliviators are going to have a big part in solving these problems," Billingsgate says thoughtfully.

"Yes, my thoughts exactly. I mean, it's easy to obliviate family members and muggle school staff into allowing excused absences. I think our main problem is the financial factor of this. Some of the muggles can't afford to miss rent and we can't simply obliviate the landlords to forget about payments," I say.

"Yes, the muggle world revolves around money, doesn't it?" he chuckles. 

"It really does," I laugh. 

"Well, perhaps our Minister can talk to the Muggle Prime Minister and come to a solution at that level, we'll just have to wait." 

"Sound's good," I reply, "We can pick up on this next meeting. Goodbye," I say. I get up from where I was seated but I notice that Billingsgate, too, gets up from his chair. At first, I assume it's because he has somewhere he needs to be but when I reach to open the door he places his hand against it to keep me from opening it. 

"I've been meaning to say, Y/N," he starts, leaning towards me. He's so close now that I can feel his breath against my face and I try to cower away from him against the door, "I like it better when we work together. Don't you agree?" 

"Um, yes, I suppose," I say, reaching for the doorknob. His eyes look to my searching hand then back up at me. I'm beyond confused and feeling even more scared. 

"You used to be quite difficult, but you got easier to work with," he chuckles, inching closer.

"Sir, I don't want-" I begin but he chuckles again.

"And now you even call me sir," he says, leaning down. And for a moment, time slows down. After the initial shock wears off, my first instinct is to push against his chest, hard. He staggers back and looks angry for a split second.When the anger leaves his face, he switches to an emotionless stare. He adjusts his tie like nothing happened. 

"You made me uncomfortable..." I explain but he has no reaction. 

"It was just a misunderstanding," he replies casually. I don't wait a moment longer, I find the doorknob and swing the door open. I rush out as fast as I can and out of the office. I just walk, mindlessly, down the hallways. I can't even begin to process what just happened. 

"Hey, Y/N," I hear but the sound doesn't register in my mind so I keep walking. I feel a hand grab my upper arm and I yank it back, reminded of how Billingsgate would grab my arm. I turn and see Draco staring at me. His eyebrows are furrowed and his eyes are focused on my expression.