two; sweet dreams, horrible reality

chapter two; sweet dreams, horrible reality

These thoughts of Enola consumed Amélie on her bike home and long after that. Why wouldn't they just leave? Amélie didn't exactly mind that they stuck around... but... god these thoughts were wrong! Enola was her best friend, nothing more. Society wouldn't be happy about it... neither would her family... or god... or even Enola. It was a thing no one talked about, but it was widely known–same sex attraction was wrong.

But why? Why did it have to be wrong? What was so wrong about it anyways? It felt... nice like she was meant to feel this way. If it was meant to be, why was it wrong? Just because society said? Her questions kept repeating in her head in a constant cycle as she was unable to think of anything else.

"Amélie? You all right?" Ellie's voice snapped her from her thoughts. The two were in the midst of baking a small cake, the one Amélie planned on bringing a slice to Enola, in the kitchen. Ellie excused the chef for a break so the two had the kitchen to themselves. Ellie whisked up a batch of frosting while the cake baked in the oven. Amélie sat along the counter, kicking her legs back in forth, stilling thinking if those thoughts before Ellie spoke.

Amélie flushed and nodded her head. She didn't think she was that far into her thought... guess she was, "I suppose so."

"You didn't want to lick the frosting so I assumed–" Ellie held up the whisk and waved it slightly to make her point. (Amélie loved frosting and it was unusual for her not to sneak a few licks of it)

Amélie shrugged, nawing at her lip as she struggled to start to ask Ellie a question. What if Ellie knew? Oh, god it would be the end of the line. Amélie could be read like a book when it came to her emotions. She needed to be a wall at the moment to not give any clues as to why she was asking: "How... how did you know you were in love?"

"Hmm..." Ellie pondered for a moment. Such a loaded question from a young girl. It was hard to pinpoint an exact moment she 'fell in love'
"I guess I just knew."

"But what about others?" Amélie asked.

"I suppose the same. You just...know." Ellie told her as she stopped whisking the frosting. It was finished now and all they had to do was wait for the cake.

'But I don't know! I don't even know if I truly like someone in a certain way.' Amélie's thoughts pouted, not satisfied with the answers.
"That's not a reassuring answer." She muttered out, her eyes casting a shadow of doubt.

Ellie sighed softly and tapped the bottom of Amélie's chin to get her to look up at her, "I know, but it's the truth. I knew André was the one for me the minute he walked into the drawing room. It felt right."

"How'd you feel?" Amélie's head tilted to the side curiously as she probed for more.

Ellie chuckled, "Full of questions, aren't you? Got someone you fancy? Some boy?" She wiggled her eyebrows with a playful smirk