three; battle of the brothers

chapter three; battle of the brothers

Nearly a week had past and Eudora still hadn't returned. This concerned Amélie for the sake of Enola. What would she do? Referring to Enola, not herself (though Amélie wouldn't know what she'd do without Enola...) Would Enola have to involve her brothers? At this rate, it may seem so. Amélie brought this suggestion up to Enola multiple times in the last week as a last resort. Enola refused to involve them.

On the subject of brothers, Enola rarely talked about her while Amélie doted on hers. Enola cared about her brothers, but neither seemed to ever want her. Amélie, on the other hand, only had her brother left. They wanted to be with each other. They wanted each other in their lives. The Bissonnettes had already been through enough, they didn't need a separation in the family. But the Holmes and Bissonette families were very different, thus the siblings acted and behaved quite different to each other. The Holmes family were too similar to each other: far too intelligent to stand the company for too long. The Bissonnettes were opposites, but complimented each other as siblings could.

Who knew that the Bissonettes and the Holmes knew each other outside just Amélie and Enola? Answer–everyone.

Amélie softly knocked on the front door of  Ferndell Hall, holding her another plate of cookies for Enola. Ellie insisted on the sweets every time. Even if Amélie protested and Enola informed her that the last 6 days of sweets were enough, Ellie wouldn't allow Amélie to go to Ferndell Hall without a plate of cookies. These last cookies were made by André too, so in Amélie's mind, they were a little extra special.

Enola liked André as he somewhat filled that gap of an older brother her own brothers rarely provided her. Somewhat. He treated her with respect and talked with her when Amélie was busy with something when Enola came over to her estate, mostly about women's rights. A topic they mostly agreed upon. Amélie appreciated that... her crush–no, best friend and her brother, being friends. How could she not like that?

And of course, just like any other day, Mrs. Lane opened the door with a smile, "Ahh Miss Bissonnette! Come in! Oh, but I may warn you, we do have visitors." She quickly explained as she peered back into the home.

Just as Amélie went to step in, she paused as confusion set in upon hearing Mrs. Lane's words. "Visitors?" She questioned with a puzzled look. Enola never informed Amélie that anyone would be there. No one ever visited Ferndell Hall, only Amélie did with André occasionally popping in to drag her back home.

"Yes, the elder sons of Mrs. Eudora. You know of them?"

Of course Amélie knew who they were, they were Enola's brothers after all, the infamous Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes. Sherlock was a great detective, greatest London ever saw, and Mycroft was a colleague of André, a colleague André disliked... a lot. Bâtard de moustache, as he called him. Thus in the home of the Bissonnettes, Mycroft Holmes gained a new nicknames unbeknownst to him. But the Holmes brothers never visited home... maybe Enola actually decided to send a telegram for them to come.