nine; to friendship

chapter nine; to friendship

Amélie's heart raced the minute she woke up. Her ill feelings slowly dissipated throughout the night as she cuddled with the girl her heart longed for. Oh... she loved this. She loved this so much. Amélie wished to never leave the comfort of Enola's arm... but... they had a long day ahead of them.

Long day it was to be indeed. That morning alone, they'd already gone to multiple offices of multiple newspapers like the Magazine of Modern Womanhood and the Journal of Dress Reform, two publications Enola knew her mother read, to place their message in the ad section of the papers.

Currently, they sat in the office of the Pall Mall Gazette, another one of Eudora's newspapers she'd read. Enola handed over their coded message to the man behind the desk. He furrowed his brows at the nonsense written before him before looking back at the girls with a puzzled look.

"It's Latin." Amélie responded as both girls smiled awkwardly, trying to convince the man that what the note was instead of what appeared to be garbled nonsense (which it was). Latin was a dead language for hundreds of years and very few people actually understood the language.

"I'm sure it is..." the man sarcastically grumbled, but took the note anyways. Didn't matter what the ad said as long as he got paid.

Enola sighed in relief, her eyes darting around the room as the girls waited for... something. (Amélie didn't know what, but she was waiting with Enola) Enola's eyes caught the attention of the newspaper on the desk and grabbed it to read. Just as she flipped the page, she noticed a missing ad for Tewkesbury. She nudged Amélie's shoulder, "Look."

Amélie's eyes widened at the missing ad, "It's Tewkesbury..." She knew he was a runaway, but this was turning into a huge deal! And a price that high? It all made sense though... a marquess bound to be in the House of Lords who just... disappeared. Amélie couldn't help but also feel bad for Pierre. She knew no one would go looking for him. She remembered her conversation with him that night--he was alone with only Tewkesbury. A part of Amélie wished they could stay together because, by the looks of it, they were much happier together... but another part knew how important it was to the entire country to have Tewkesbury take his place. It was a horrible situation for the Viscount, but she hoped everything would work out...

"This gentleman seems to be getting a lot of attention." Enola commented

"Well, he's a bloomin' marquess." The man replied as he handed off the small paper with the message to some other worker.

Enola sighed and closed the newspaper. She had enough of him and Pierre. She left them behind to find her mother, not keeping getting dragged back to them. It was supposed to be just her and Amélie. And that's how she wished to keep it. Enola shifted in her chair to look at Amélie. Now that the ads would be in, they could continue with the rest of their plan for the day, "Now we have to find out who my mother really was... is... was..."