four; oh, the moon and the stars

chapter four; oh the moon and the stars

Oh, the stars and the moon, Amélie's favorite thing about the night sky. As much as the girl preferred the day time as there were many more things to draw and the day was for being with friends, there was something about the night that was special. Something about it. All the Bissonettes had a connection to the sky as the family used to sneak out in their dressing gowns to the roof and point at the sky with books of the stars and moon.

It was... nice. It was a family bonding moment, something both  André and Amélie realized they took for granted when their father passed... the star gazing stopped for some time as the sky grew dark on the Bissonnette family. A dark period of time full of death with no light from the stars to guide them. As time pressed on, the moon and stars soon grew brighter for André and Amélie. They could see the light again and the night wasn't as awful anymore.

André picked back up astronomy and encouraged Amélie to read along and join him again to look up at the sky. They were opening back up to each other. It was what they both needed.

Soon, that love of the sky poured out to Enola too. Amélie loved pointing them out to her when she'd stay over and marking out constellations in her sketchbook. A passion Enola grew to love. A passion the two girls could bond over.

Oh the moon and the stars, why were you so beautiful? Amélie didn't know how it was... but was thankful for its beauty for bringing her and André back together, and for growing her and Enola even closer.

It was about that time of night where Amélie readied herself for bed. She already had herself a bath and changed into her nightgown. Now, she sat on her windowsill, sketchbook in her lap as she drew Enola from memory. Every small little detail Amélie noticed of Enola, she drew: she drew Enola's tiny dimples that formed when she smiled and tried conveying how her eyes light up every time Amélie came over (or maybe Amélie imagined that part due to her hopeless feelings...) Her soft smile couldn't be wiped off her face and her hand trailed down the drawing of her f...friend. Yes, that's what they were: Friends, and Amélie needed to stop pretending that they'd even be anything more.

A light tapping was heard against the door into her room, to which Amélie didn't look up to at the sound. She assumed (and did guess correctly) that it was André so she just called to let himself in.

"Mind if I join you for a late night star gaze?" André asked as he entered, not missing a beat. Amélie's eyes raised from her sketchbook as she finally made contact with her brother, who stayed by the door. He had yet to change into his own nightgown and still bore his trousers and button down. It was evident in his face that something was bothering him, but knowing André, he wouldn't share it... not immediately at least. The Frenchman continued, "I-I need to clear my head... and was just wondering–"

"You came to me first?" Amélie questioned, closing her sketchbook completely and rising to her feet. She wished to join but wanting to make sure that this is what her brother really wanted when he arrived.