Chapter 19

A soft knock sounds at the door.

"Tess are you okay? You've been in there for 2 hours." Hardin opens the door and walks in. He keeps his distance and just sits on the floor by the door. I didnt realise how long I've been in here. I've stayed in this position the whole time,my legs bent to my chest and my head resting on my knees with all the bubbles around me.

My eyes meet his and a wave of guilt consumes me. His eyes are full of.... pity? Or maybe disbelief? Either way I don't want him to pitty me and i understand if he's in disbelief. Im still in denial as it is. Im not sure how long its going to take me to accept the fact that whats happened to me happened and isn't just some bad dream. I cant even look at him. I feel like Im somehow im letting him down by being this upset. Im not an emotional person.Not since college at least. I cried A LOT back then but I just learnt to suck it up and get on with life since then, but sitting here now, tears staining my face,I feel weak and not the Tessa who quit a job and yelled at a customer less than 24 hours ago. Somehow my life has completely flipped in less than a day; and not for the better.

"What are you thinking?" I turn my head to face away from him so im looking at the opposite wall.

"Uh,I dont know. I want to give you a hug, and be close to you. Im thinking that I've completely failed to protect you. Im thinking that you won't ever let me touch you or be less than 5 metres away from you ever again. Im afraid that our relationship won't ever be the same again. I mean you wont even look at me." His words confuse me. I force myself not to look at him.

"Hardin you didnt fail to protect me. I believe everything happens for a reason?"

"How can you even say that. Everything happens for a reason? Are you fucking kidding me! What possible fucki-"

"Hardin! Can you come here for a second!" Molly cuts him off shouting from the other room. He sighs heavily before slamming the door and walking off. Now I really dont want to talk to him. You would think that in any normal relationship when your girlfriend tells you she was raped that your boyfriend would try and do everything in there power to make sure your okay as well as respecting your only wish of giving you some space not yelling and slamming doors at me.

Im thankful for mollys interruption of hardins beginning of what would have been a very long rant. Im guessing she was listening from the other room,after all the walls are quite thin in this apartment.

After a few minutes trying to analyse what he said and how I should now act around him I get up out of the tub and wrap a towel around me. I decide to put my own pyjamas on tonight as we have company and the slightest hint of a feeling that a man is close to me makes me shiver. I walk out into the living room where molly and hardin and sitting on the couch watching some movie together. Both of them look at me as I make my way over to the separate sofa from what they are sitting on. Its suffocatingly awkward and tense. Mollys eyes move back to the TV but I can feel Hardins eyes still on me. I look at him and he's staring at my legs. I look down and notice the fingerprints that mark all of my thighs. I forgot about the fact that im covered in marks and bruises. I quickly grab the blanket from the back of the chair and cover myself up with it. He moves his eyes back to the TV and I just try and find something to concentrate on. I decide that the floor is a good idea and would be the best pass time. I was so entranced that I didn't hear molly calling my name from the other couch.