Chapter 20

Hardins been sleeping almost all day and I've just been sat here watching him

Hardins been sleeping almost all day and I've just been sat here watching him. He needs to wake up or he isn't going to sleep tonight so I decide to take a first step and wake him up myself. I sit next to him on the couch and pull the strands of hair that have fallen onto his face back. He smiles in his sleep which only makes me smile.

"Hardin you need to wake up." I whisper.
He stirs but doesn't wake up.

"Hardin" I move my hand back to his face resting it on his cheek. His eyes flutter open and he sits up a bit too quickly making me jump back.

"What are you doing?" He says his voice still laced with sleep.

"Uh nothing. Just waking you up."

"You were sitting next to me with your hand on my face. I thought you were mad at me." I dont want to argue this morning but I know we have to talk about everything.

"I am still mad at you. But I wanted to pretend like everything was normal for a few seconds."

"Do you find it less intimidating when I'm laying down or sleeping to approach me?" He asks.

"I guess so. You always looks so handsome and peaceful when your sleeping. It makes me smile whenever I see your that relaxed."

"How about we try that then. If you feel more comfortable being closer to me that way then you could just slowly move closer and closer so your not so scared of me when im near you." Its a good idea and I think it could work. Baby steps.

"Ok then. We can try that. Molly said something about setting a goal each day like a hug or something so I can get used to it. Also I'm not scared of you by the way." I add.

"We need to talk about everything as well." He gets up from the couch and I move back onto the other chair.

"I know." I sigh. Hardin makes himself some tea before sitting back down in his seat,lying down but his feet off the couch. He pats the space next to him gesturing for me to move closer. I move off the couch and onto the space next to him but still keeping a fair distance between us. He's relaxed and calm as he speaks making me more comfortable.

"So. What do you wanna talk about first?" I ask.

"What you said last night." I was pissed last night and said a lot of things that were on my mind.

"First off. I want you to put the ring back on because I did mean every single word I said to you when I gave it to you and I still intend on keeping my promises." He hands me back the ring and i look at it thoughtfully.

"Then why did you suggest leaving?" Thats my one big question. He promised to be there for me and he ended up hating his father for years after he left them that night yet he wanted to leave himself.

" I think apart of me just wanted to be selfish. If I left then I wouldn't have to face reality and the truth is im absolutely terrified of loosing you and im even more scared of you changing into a different tessa. A tessa I won't love." Thats harsh.