Happy

Vanessa age 21
I am 21 today. For my birthday, my moms are making dinner. We have invited Usnavi, Abuela Claudia, Benny, Nina, Kevin, and Camila. After, Benny, Nina, Usnavi and I are going out to the club.
I put on my green dress. Usnavi's favorite color. Last week Mama and I went out and bought a new dress. I found one that stops at my mid thighs and shows off all my curves. Mamí says I am going to knock him dead.

Ten minutes later, Usnavi and Abuela Claudia show up.
"Wow!" Is all Usnavi says when he sees me. I feel my cheeks flush and I kiss him.
"Vanessa, Es muy linda!"
"Gracias Abuela," I say, giving her a kiss. "I am glad you could make it. Are you going to come out with us? Maybe do a little booty shaking?"
She laughs and turns red. "No Mija. I am to old for that."
"Show me how you dance Abuela."
She smiles and we go into the living room. She takes my hands and we sway to an old Jorge Negrete song. I don't know his music, but Abuela loves his music. It reminds her of her Mamá.
After a while, everyone else shows up. I hug them and we all go back to dancing. Kevin and Nina dance. Benny and Camilla dance. Mama and Mamí dance, and poor Usnavi is left alone, until Mamí runs off, remembering the flan. Mama and Usnavi dance, whispering about something.

We have just finished dinner, when Usnavi stands up.
"I would like to make a toast. First, to our host. Thank you Dani and Carla for hosting dinner. It was amazing. Also, to the birthday girl. You have been my best friend for as long as I can remember. The moment you came back into my life, I knew I loved you. The last four years have been amazing. I want to spend many more years with you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So Vanessa Mariana Ortega, will you do me the honor of allowing me to be your husband?"
I stand there shocked for several minutes.
"Mija, did you hear him?"
"What! Yeah. I mean, yes, I would love to have you as my husband!"
"Really?" He says excitedly.
"Yes! Don't look so shocked. You are my best friend, and you have always been there for me. I love you so much Usnavi."
He slips the ring on my finger and kisses me. I hear clapping as we kiss. When we part, we are swarmed with people. Mama wraps her arms around me and hugs me.
"I am so happy for you honey!"
"Thanks Mama. Is this what you two were whispering about while dancing?"
"¿Que?"
"Oh, don't act so innocent," I laugh.
"He may have asked your Mamí and I about proposing to you. I told him he didn't have to ask, but he has our blessing."
"Thank you Mama." I kiss her on the head and hug her.
I turn and hug Mamí, who is crying. "Mamí, don't cry."
"I am just so damn happy for you Mija," she says, barely holding back her tears. I just laugh and wrap her in my arms.

After, we all go dancing. Usnavi and I have a blast. I am resting, dreaming of the wedding, when Nina comes and sits beside me.
"Chica, head in the clouds again?"
"Yeah." I grin. "Dreaming of the wedding."
"Let me see that beautiful ring again."
I grin and hold it up.
"It is so beautiful. He did good."
"Yeah. He did."
"You know, Benny says he has been planning this for months."
"How are things between you and Benny?"
"Awkward. He is still so mad at me. I can't help that daddy decided to sell the business. I begged him not to but daddy insisted on doing it to continue paying for my school. I have one year left, and we have no money left."
"It has only been a week. Give him time."
"I just hope he forgives me before I head back to Stanford next week."
"He will. I know it."
Suddenly, everything goes pitch black. There is pure chaos. People start yelling. I pull out my phone and turn on my flashlight.
"Nina!"
"Still here."
"We need to find Usnavi and Benny."
"Agreed."
I try to call both of them, but can't get through. Over all the chaos, I manage to hear my name.
"Usnavi! I am over here!" I holler back.
He shows up a minute later.
"So happy I found you." He hugs me.
"Where is Benny?" Nina asks worried.
"He is looking for you. When the power went out, he thought you were still on the dance floor."
"Benny! She yells, starting to run off.
"Nina! No. Let's go outside and we will find him."
Before I can stop her, she has disappeared in the crowds.
"We need to find her. It is ten blocks to her house. You know how this neighborhood gets in a blackout."
"Vanessa, let's go wait outside for them. It is chaos in here."

Ten minutes later, I grin as I see Benny and Nina kissing in the street.
"Let's go Usnavi. Nina's fine."
"How do you.... Oh." He looks over and grins. "Yeah, they're fine. Why don't we go back to my place?"
I lean in and let my hand roam to his waist band. "There isn't much to do when it is this dark outside. Why don't we go back to your place and celebrate in private?"
I grabs my hand and we start walking towards his apartment. We spend the rest of the night celebrating our engagement.

The next morning, Nina calls me all excited and a bit frantic.
"It happens Vanessa. It actually happened last night."
"Nina, calm down. What happened?"
"We took our relationship to the next level. Benny and I had sex for the first time. A completely new experience for me."
"Aww Bebe, so cute." I laugh. "How was it?"
"Amazing," she sighs. "I am a little sore though."
"It gets better after the first few times."
I look over and Usnavi is stirring. "Hey Nina, I would love to keep talking, but Usnavi is waking up."
"Okay. Didn't get enough celebration last night. You need to continue this morning."
"¡Cállate!" I laugh.
"Love you Chica."
"Love you too. Bye."
"Who was that?" Usnavi asks.
"Just Nina. She wanted to call me and let me know how last night went."
He smirks. "Glad those two worked everything out."
"Yeah. I knew they would."
I lay down and rest my head on his chest and absently let my hand roam across his body. I listen to his heartbeat and snuggle into him. Soon, I hear his heartbeat speed up. I look up and smile.
"Is someone excited?"
He lifts my chin and kisses me again.
"Let's celebrate again before I have to go into the store."
I roll on top of him and kiss him deeply. "Sounds like an amazing way to wake up."