21

Reiner wasn't the only one scared of abandonment.

You knew being left for someone else hurt.

But drinking and smoking your feelings away wasn't the answer.

You slept in late the next morning. You had no reason to wake up anyways.

You turned to look at the time on your phone, but instead of focusing on the time, all you could see were the notifications upon notifications that were texted to you. From 11pm yesterday all the way to 10pm this morning.

All from the same person. Reiner.

You didn't want to talk to him right now, no matter how long you left him on delivered.

You made yourself some cereal and washed your face, brushed your teeth, and did everything you usually did on a morning break.

You decided that you were ready to see his messages now.

The first five texts were all one hour apart. And they were all the same thing. Simply a text of your name.

Then, his texts became longer.

'You're probably asleep, but I wanted you to know I'm sorry' he texted, and then about two hours later, there was another text.

'Can I explain everything to you?'

Another hour later, he texted; 'is it alright if I come over your house tomorrow to apologize?' He questioned before responding 10 minutes later.

'Or you could come to my house, so it would be less uncomfortable.' He added.

An hour later he texted again. 'If you won't show up to my house this afternoon, I'll know that's my cue to keep my distance.'

And the final text he sent, at 9 in the morning, 'but I don't want to lose you'

That last text was a lot to take in. It didn't make sense. Reiner was a popular boy. He didn't need MORE friends or people. The whole school was on his side anyways.

You didn't have what he did. If he left you, that would be critical because you didn't have many friends from the school in general. But for him, one person was nothing.

It was already noon and Reiner was probably at home right now, wondering if you'd show up to his house.

You didn't know if you would either.

Your mother was at your grandmothers for the day, going to make sure everything was okay.

Which meant she'd come home late, and you once again had the house to yourself.

You didn't want to lose Reiner either, no matter how much you didn't want to admit it. And you didn't want him to ignore you or leave you alone at school.

You did your makeup, and before you knew it you were at his front door. Before knocking, you kind of just stood there, not knowing if you should just hold your shame and go home. 

But you didn't want to seem weak, you wanted to be the bigger person, just like he was the bigger person in saying sorry.

You knocked his door as the boy swung it open, almost expecting you to be there.

He looked at you with soft eyes before putting on a guilt filled face.

"Hi." He said as you stood on his front porch.

"Hello," you awkwardly replied as he allowed you into his house, leading you towards his living room.

His living room didn't have a television, but instead a trophy case alongside a book shelf. It seemed very cottage like.