28

You followed Reiner towards the back of the school, away from the football field and his teammates.

"Why aren't you in class?" he instantly asked as you wondered why he couldn't just be happy you were there to watch him.

"I have a supply. I wanted to come watch you guys practice." You replied.

"Also, why do you sleep wearing socks?" You asked as Reiner seemed confused.

He was about to continue, until he stopped. "How did you know about the sock thing." He questioned.

You shrugged to tease him as he still seemed confused at how the hell you knew how he slept.

"I'm glad to see you're just as I remember." You smiled.

"I haven't changed much in the span of two months." He replied. "Why have you not been around?" He asked.

"I'm busy." You replied, not wanting to tell him you were actually working your ass off practicing the cheerleading routine.

"Busy? It was clear you were ignoring me." He stated as you raised your eyebrows.

"Ignoring? Reiner I wasn't." You replied.

"Yes you have. Ever since New Year's Eve, when I brought you to that party, you've been acting different around me." He voiced his opinion as you looked at him.

"Why did you tell me you felt that way?" You asked as he stopped.

"Because you've been ignoring me!" He raised his voice as you took a step back.

"Fuck, I didn't mean to yell." He said, knowing you backed off because you were uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry for ignoring you." You replied as Reiner felt bad for what he said.

"I thought I did something wrong. I thought I fucked something up that night." He admitted as you looked up at him.

"That night was super fun. A senior New Years party is a once in a lifetime thing. I'm happy you took me." You assured him.

"You're happy both your and my ex were there, and they ruined it, and threatened you?" He questioned.

"I'm happy I got to experience that. I'm happy you stood up for me. I'm happy I went there, with you." You repeated as Reiner took off his beanie and placed it on your head.

"Your ears are pink. It's still cold out." He said as you placed his hat correctly onto your head.

"Thanks." You replied.

"I know you and Bertholdt usually do tutoring after school, but do you mind ditching and hanging out with me after school today?" He questioned as you nodded.

"Okay. I've got to get back to the team. You can watch us if you'd like." He continued as he turned the corner of the back of the school.

Once again in the back of your mind, you thought about how Reiner did not bring up that soon to be kiss. He talked about the New Years party, talked about the night, yet skipped over the part where he almost kissed you. Why?

You texted Bertholdt, canceling on him yet not telling him the reason for your cancellation. He would've called you irresponsible.

~

"Hop in." Reiner said as he held the car door open for you.

"Thanks." You replied, not really understanding why you couldn't just open the door for yourself. But if that was just Reiner trying to do a nice jester, you didn't mind.

"You take the aux this time." He said as he handed you a cord attached to his car. You plugged it into your phone and shuffled through songs before finding one you thought Reiner might like.