Mistakes Made {10}

Malea's POV

"I need a large coffee. Black, no cream, no sugar, brewed to 202 degrees Farenhieght." I handed over the 50 dollar bill that Lucian provided every time I bought him coffee and spun around to take a seat at a booth while the coffee brewed.

I dug out my new phone from my handbag. With the insane amount of money I earned from my job, I was able to upgrade from my current iPhone to the latest one. Being Lucian's personal assistant definitely had its advantages alongside its disadvantages. For example last night, Lucian called me at 6 am to get him coffee and personally deliver a contract to a company 2 hours away. If he hadn't realized, there's something called fax, try it sometime buddy.

As I scrolled through the many messages on my phone, I realized that hadn't heard from Ales in a while, so me being the best friend ever, I decided to call her.

"Hello? Who is this?" She said after three rings.

"You can drop the act, Ales, you know I'm the only contact on your phone." I rolled my eyes and fiddled with an old receipt.

Ales giggled. "How's it going, Mali?"

I shrugged even though she couldn't see me. "Pretty good though I'm pretty sure if I stand up again, my feet are going to fall off."

I heard her shift the phone from one ear to the other. "Why do you say that, Mali?"

"Well with the fact that I basically ran around Manhattan all day trying to deliver mails to other companies from Lucian, you could say my knees have turned to rubber." I sighed and glanced over at the silent buzzer at the side of the table. I glanced at my watch. How much longer until the coffee's ready? If I'm late, it's not going to be pretty back at the office.

"Well, at least you have a well paying job now, so look at the brighter sides of things." Ales pointed out, her voice taking on an accusing tone.

I blew out a heavy breath and felt my black hair swirl around my face with the puff of air. "Calm down, Ales. I am grateful." The vibrating and flashing lights of the buzzer caught my attention. Quickly, I picked up the buzzer and headed back to the counter where the coffee cup and the change sat.

"How's things going with you?" I asked once I'd gathered my belongings and thanked the barista. Pushing the double doors open, I signaled for the driver to start up the sleek black car that had been provided for my endeavors around Manhattan.

"Well, I'm planning something special for Lucian and I..." Ales trailed on, her voice high and egnimatically lilting.

"Ooh. What is it? Dinner? Oh wait no! You guys are going to get matching manicures and pedicures! Wait no! Matching tattoos!" I joked as I hopped inside the car. With a lurch, the driver, Knox, pulled away from the curb and began navigating through the jam packed roads.

"You play too much." She said tangibly, annoyance creeping into her tone. "I'm planning on something intimate. I actually was supposed to do it a couple nights ago, but plans changed."

I could practically see her blush through the phone. "How cute! Why didn't you tell me earlier! I could've helped you out!"

Ales cleared her throat. "I already asked Winter and we're out right now shopping for new shoes. And besides, you're always working." She brushed off the issue as if it was nothing.