Suspicion{27}

Malea's POV

After leaving Ales's house, I made my way back to work. Ales told me everything she knew about what the emails said and even showed me websites that claimed to have proof. As much as I want myself to believe that Ales wasn't behind it, my conscience isn't one hundred percent sure on that.

I ignored the nasty looks and the hushed whispers as I walked by others and instead walked to my office. I took note that Elaine closed out of a page hurriedly as soon as I walked in. She spun around in her chair and shot me a tight smile.

What was she doing that she had to close out of the page before I saw it? I collapsed into my desk chair and glanced over at Elaine who was looking at me with worry in her eyes.

"Are you okay, Malea? I saw the emails and I will never judge you for what you did." She said gently, her dark eyebrows knitted in worry.

I sighed in frustration. "Does everyone know about those fake emails?" I asked incredulously. Even the janitor I passed down the hallway looked at me like I had two heads.

Her eyes widened. "Those emails were fake?"

I nodded, feeling a headache starting at my temples. "Yes." My whole life was seeming to collapse right on top of me.

Elaine pouted and placed her hand over mine. "I'm so sorry. How could someone do something like that?"

I shrugged.

"Do you know who did it?" She asked a little too curiously.

"No." I shook my head. The only other person it could be could possibly be Myra. "But I do have a feeling that person is closer to me than I know."

Elaine flinched and retracted her hands. "I hope you're okay though."

I nodded and turned to my computer, ready to start work and get away from my current situation. "I'm fine. No worries here."

Elaine turned to me and raised her eyebrow slightly. "So you and Lucian are now an item?"

I could feel myself blush. "Uh, yeah,"

Elaine cracked into grin. "How cute! I'm so jealous. You too are like exact opposites. He's so stiff and you're so lively!"

I smiled. I didn't want Elaine advertising that to the world though. She seems like a person who could never keep a secret. "Don't say anything to anyone though."

Elaine winked. "Ah. I understand."

I nodded and returned back to the document in front of me.

"I mean—" Elaine began.

"Malea. I need to see you in my office. Now." I turned around to see Lucian at the door, his face contorted apprehensively. His hair looked as if he ran his hands through it a million times today. He didn't even have his suit jacket on.

I nodded, suddenly feeling butterflies in my stomach. This is the first time I've been in his office full knowing that we were both officially together. What does he want?

I watched him walk away. I didn't bother to log off the computer and stood up and made my way to the door.

"Don't get carried away." She called after me.