Almost Out {30}

Lucian's POV

It's been two days since Malea, Myra, Ales, and Winter went missing and I haven't slept for one second. I've tried all their cell phones, and talked to my PI and he hasn't found anything yet. We even tried tracking Malea's phone, but it lead us straight back to Myra's house.

I don't know what to do but I have to think back to where did Myra could possibly take Malea. The only reasonable conclusion would be that Myra was the one behind the abductions and though it pained me to think that way, it was the only reasonable option.

I wracked my brain. Where could Myra possibly have taken Malea?

****
Malea's POV

Myra and Ales only came up to give us food and water. The bread was stale and the water tasted unpure but I drank and ate to make sure they weren't suspicious. Elaine on the other hand refused to take any food or water and I'm worried that she's starving herself.

During those two days, Ales warned Myra and Winter to leave us alone so we could heal which was convenient because they didn't come up to check on us often. And during those two days, I managed to saw halfway through the coarse rope. I did it gradually because Myra and Ales tended to check our ropes to make sure they were intact.

Today, it was around noon and Elaine was sleeping and my arms ached. The blood on my head had dried and flaked off. I moved the charm back and forth and suddenly, the rope fell off my wrists. Happily, I pulled my hand away from behind the pole and almost cried out in pain. I haven't moved my shoulders in over 3 days and it was extremely sore.

I flexed my fingers out in front of me and glanced frantically around the room for something to use as a weapon. Then I saw it. It was a long metal nail that was still stuck inside the wall.

Quietly, I crawled towards it, my previously numb legs now returning its feeling. I grabbed hold of the top of the nail and pulled, rust and grime coated my hands by the time I'd been able to pull out the nail completely. It was about 6 inches and wouldn't do much damage but was definitely an upgrade from having no weapons.

Suddenly the thumping of boots up stairs sounded out. My heart leapt into my throat. I ran back to where I had been tied up gracelessly and accidentally knocked my knee against the wooden post. A loud thump sounded out when my knee connected with the pole and I was sure that whoever was coming up the stairs heard it. I didn't have time to think about that as I clasped the nail tightly inside my hand, my arms wound around the pole like it was before. I just prayed that it wasn't visible that the rope had been cut as the door opened to reveal Ales.

She was alone.

She smiled at me as she walked in, her solid boots hitting the floor gracelessly. Each step she took left a muddy footprint. She knelt down in front of me and peeled off the duck tape from my lips.

Ales grinned manically and sat crisscross. She was too close. My heart thumped wildly as I prayed that she wouldn't notice the rope on the floor behind me. I wasn't thinking and I didn't wrap the rope loosely around my wrists.

"How are you doing." She asked.

I gulped. "I'm fine. Where is Myra and Winter?" I asked. If Ales is alone, I can seize this opportunity and try to knock her out. If I'm able to do that, then I can loosen Elaine and we can get out of here. The possibility of being free kept me hopeful.

Ales grinned. "It's just me today. They left a while ago." She pulled out something from her pocket. A switchblade. She flicked it open and closed it over and over again. This isn't my best friend anymore. My best friend is gone and in her place is a sadistic monster. I felt a tear drop down my cheek.

She pouted and wiped away the tear with the hand that had the closed knife in it. I winced as she touched my face. "Don't cry, sweetie. I'm here for you." Then she pulled me in a hug, her head placed on my shoulder. My heart stopped. Ales could now see that my hands were untied.

"How did—" Before she could finish her sentence, I brought my knee up into her stomach and she stumbled back in pain. I took this chance and pulled away from the pole and held out the nail so the point was facing Ales.

I glanced over at Elaine who was now alert, her eyes wide in horror. I instantly regretted looking at Elaine because Ales kicked her leg out and swiped me off my feet, my back hit the ground, the air knocking out of my lungs. The nail flew through the air and landed across the room, next to Elaine. Damn it.

Ales stood over me, a sadistic smile on her face. She pressed her knee on my throat and I clawed at her leg as the air got harder to breath. "Did you think you could really escape? Tsk, tsk, tsk. I'm not done with you yet."

My lungs burned as the air increasingly became barren from my lungs. My eyes burned and my nose stung. My eyes darted over to Elaine. She had the nail in her hand and was working at the rope. She was trying to cut the rope.
"Please—" I choked out, trying to buy her more time.

Ales removed her knee and I suddenly gulped down the air as if it were water. She gripped my wrists and pulled me to my feet. Ales chuckled. "Wait until Myra and Winter hear about this." Ales pulled out her switchblade and my breath hitched in my throat. I glanced out of the corner of my eye. Elaine freed her hands.

Before Ales could bring the knife near me, Elaine kicked the back of Ales's knees and Ales fell forward. Elaine seized the opportunity and twisted Ales's arms behind her back. I spotted a coil of rope in the corner. Elaine grabbed Ales's legs while I wound the rope around her hands.

We did it. Now we have to find our way out of here. Before I could say anything to Elaine, she shrieked and hit the floor with a thump. I spun around to see Myra behind Elaine. My stomach plummeted to my shoes. I thought Ales was alone. I glanced at Ales who had a sly smile on her face.

No. She tricked me. Ales—

And then the world went black as something hard connected with my head.

Again.