65: Chris Imagime for @River_Jude

For River_Jude

Chris had just cracked some smart remark, and you all had bust out laughing. By you all, it was really just you, Chris, and Gordie.

When you three had settled down, you realized you guys had walked quite a ways past the diner where you had been planning to go.

"Hey, guys," you addressed, getting both boys' attentions, "we passed the Blue Point." You pointed your thumb behind you towards the diner.

You guys shared another little bout of giggles as you turned around and walked to the diner.

You guys sat at the booth you all had started occupying back when you all were 8, just old enough to be allowed in town by yourselves. That was about 6 years that you guys had been coming there.

"The usuals, all around," Chris informed the waitress that came to take your orders. "Thanks."

The boys began jabbering about some new comic, and you just contentedly watched your two best friends talk. You found your eyes drifting to Chris more than to Gordie, and you were alarmingly aware of it. You tried to keep yourself from looking at him so much, but you couldn't help it.

You two had been friends since before you had even started school, and how had you never noticed the slope of his slightly upturned nose? How had you never noticed the way his greenish-blue eyes remained fixated on whoever was speaking to him in an almost hypnotized way? How had you never been aware of your feelings for your best friend?

"Nevaeh, hey Nev? You okay?" Chris asked, looking at you with a slightly concerned expression.

You gave him a slight reassuring smile. "Yeah. All good." You looked down at your hands.

Just then the waitress brought your food and drinks. You all thanked her and chowed down, making small conversational comments now and then. You glanced at Chris every once in a while, while you'd take a drink. Little did you know, but he'd glance at you when you looked away.

Gordie looked between both of you, knowing exactly what was happening because you know, he's a smart cookie. "Chris, Nevaeh likes you. Nevaeh, Chris likes you too. I'm gonna go to the bathroom. You can kiss while I'm gone, but you better be done by the time I come back." He looked at both of yours and Chris's surprised faces, staring up at their scrawny yet very present friend, and shook his head. He walked to the bathroom.

You out down the fry you hd been about to put in your mouth. You looked straight over at Chris, who was looking right back at you. "How did he...?" you started.

Chris shrugged. "The kid's smart I guess." He took a sip of his milkshake. "You like me?"

You nodded casually, as if it was no big deal. "Yeah. And, um, you like me?" You were thankful for your darker complexion for hiding the subtle blush you knew was rushing in your face.

He nodded too, despite his cheeks turning slightly pink. "For a while now, actually."

You smiled and leaned over closer to Chris and pecked him on the cheek. "Good talk."

"Yeah," he gave you a side smile. "You wanna go out sometime? Er-"

"Sure, call me tonight okay?" you said just as Gordie reappeared.

He sat down, looking back and forth between you and Chris. "Did you kiss?"

You smiled at Chris. "Sorta."

Gordie rolled his eyes. "You guys can date, just don't make it weird for me or Teddy and Vern. We don't need that crap."

You and Chris just laughed a little. From under the table, Chris took your light brown hand in his summer-tanned hand. You intertwined your fingers, glad you were with your best friend.

I really hope you liked it! It's so long like I didn't expect it to be so long... I wrote this on the plane from Honolulu to San Francisco and I guess I'm just that bored.

For a tan person, I suck at skin color descriptions... I'm sorry if something was kinda off. I suck butt. Just tell me, I know I do tho. M'kay.

~Mariah