thirty nine :: bonus chapter!

"MUM!!" The fragile voice bellowed from across the hall. I didn't remember dropping my cup of coffee, or hearing Rick's hearty groan of pain once the mug fell on this toe; mixing both the pain from the weight of the ceramic dish and the wave of extremely hot liquid ricocheting onto the bare skin under his jeans. My feet moved faster then my brain could comprehend. With my feet moving quicker then Usain Bolt on his 100 meter stretch I bolted through the halls, dodging every and any person in my path. I don't think I had ever run this fast in my entire life; not for any athletic events at my school, or even running away from any horde of walkers. 

Fearing for the worst, my heart began to pick up it's pace. Heroes don't dread for what's ahead, they buckle up and brace themselves for impact. Let me tell you; I was ready to decapitate whatever being or thing that was causing my little boy to scream my name in the most blood chilling scream I had ever heard. Whatever was lying ahead, I didn't care whether it was 10 feet tall, or the size of the Lochness monster - It was going to die. 

But, that fear and dread; anxiety and worrying quickly came to a halt, hitting reverse and disappearing into the night because when I got to Glenn, those feelings were quickly replaced with annoyance, slight anger and the sudden urge to flick him with my fingers on his buttoned nose. 

"Please, Glenn..." I sighed. Placing my hand firmly on my forehead as I attempted to catch my breath. "Please tell me... you didn't call my name like that... because you -- "

As I looked at the now 6 year old boy, his face was devastating to see. Tears trickling down his cheeks as he silently sobbed. My heart ached, but I had to fight every urge to wrap my arms around him and sooth him. Those urges quickly disintegrated once I realized that his blood chilling scream wasn't caused by a walker, or that he was on the brink of death.. It was because;

"Glenn.. Please tell me you didn't call me like that because you dropped your cookie?!" I sighed, exasperatedly. 

His icy, tear filled eyes looked up at mine, then back down at the cookie - and back up at me. His bottom lip drooped as he nodded his head. Before I could reply, I heard another set of running footsteps. I looked behind me, noticing Daryl stumbling with his crossbow on his back and his knife firmly grasped in his hand - panic evident in his eyes as he approached the two of us. The knife was quickly holstered back in it's case as he sighed in annoyance, rolling his eyes abd realizing what had happened. He opened his mouth to speak but before any words could come out, another voice bellowed through the halls. 

"Where's the son of a bitch" My dad's voice boomed. He sped walked down the halls, Lucille being swung in the air. "Teach you to mess with my grandson."

"Way to make a dramatic entrance, Dad." I rolled my eyes. "Put your bat away.. He dropped his cookie."
Dad came to a halt, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, then opening them, looking at Glenn. Quickly though, his expression didn't change as he walked closer to my son. He held the same angry look, the look to kill - Dad's specialty. If I didn't know that he wouldn't hurt Glenn, I'd be concerned. 
Dad stopped directly in front of Glenn and the cookie. His eyes shifted from Glenn, and onto the cookie. Before I could think about what was happening, he kneeled down towards the cookie, smashing Lucille onto it, crumbling the cookie into crumbs and quickly walked away before he could see the devastated look sitting on Glenn's face. 

"C'mon kid." Rick smiled at Glenn "Let go get you a knew cookie." 
Glenn shook his head vigorously as they began to walk away. "But, I wanted that one.." 
"I uhh.." Rick chuckled, looking back at the cookie. "I don't think that's an option anymore, buddy." 

They were merely 10 meters away and as I turned to go back to my room, to make a replacement for smashed coffee, I heard Glenn mutter. "Stupid Grandpa" 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glenn was asleep, his little snores echoed the room as I laid on Daryl's chest. 
"That little shit.." He began. "Gave me a fuckin' heart attack today." 
I chuckled lightly, turning my head to look up at him. 
"Is that so?" I smirked. "It took you long enough to get to him." I joked. 
"I knew you'd have it handled." He laughed. "I also knew you wouldn't of takin' any weapons, had to get somethin'.." 
"Point taken" I smiled. "You better get used to it though Dare." 
"Na," He smiled, looking over at Glenn. We both laid there, staring at our beautiful boy, taking in his peacefulness. "I told him no more cryin' over cookies, otherwise mum's gunna' have a heart attack." I laughed, then sat up, looking at Daryl. I lifted my leg, swinging it over his waist so I was then straddling him. Daryl's hands found my waist, rubbing circles on my lower back, as we looking at each other, smiling. 

"I mean.." I sighed. "You're going to have to do all of this again." Biting my lip, I watched his facial features for his reaction. His face formed a frown, confusion written in his face. I laughed lightly but quickly his eyes widened. 
"Are ye'...?" He smiled. 
"Yeah.." I smiled. "I found out last week"  

Daryl's arms wrapped around my waist even more, embracing me into the tightest, most comforting hug I have ever felt. His happiness radiating, and contagious. We pulled apart, and Daryl's hand caressed my neck, pulling me into a long, desirable kiss. 
Years. Years after everything, and I am still so infatuated with Daryl Dixon. 
The days are better with him in them and now with both Glenn and our baby number two; zombies are the least of my worries.
We pulled apart, staring into each others eyes. His icy blues still so captivating. 
"It better be a girl." He whispered kissing me one more time, then looking over at Glenn. "I ain't ready to put up with another boy crying over a damn cookie." 

I smiled, happiness radiating as I look at our beautiful boy then back at Daryl.
"If it is a girl.." I smiled. "She's going to be crying over boys, and what colour knife holster she should wear. Are you ready for that?" 
"Na'.." Daryl grumbled. "No boys."