fourteen;; salvage

I walked in the front of the group- my lips still tingling from the kiss Daryl and I shared after weeks of waiting. I walked slowly, scanning the familiar corridors and my gun held at eye height. Everything seemed so familiar and untouched- exactly the way it was left.

The narrow corridors reminded me of the fights I had to break up between some of the inmates. The graffiti covered walls made me laugh lightly at the thought of the kids breaking out of their rooms just to mark their name on a wall.

My feet and entire body ached while we walked forwards-toward the kitchen, the recreation room and the bedrooms. The entire building was solar powered- meaning kitchen appliances worked, the bathrooms were fully intact and we didn't have to show light by a torch.

We finally reached the kitchen, instantly opening the cupboards which revealed cans of food, noodles, soups and a lot of bottles filled with water.

"This is amazing." Maggie's eyes scanned the room.
"It really is, Kaylie." Rick added. "I can't thank you enough."

I smiled at them, lowering my gun. "You don't need to thank me. It's the least I could do after the pain my father had inflicted on you all."
"That wasn't on you." Michonne piped up as she rocked Judith. "It isn't on you."

I sighed, accepting defeat regardless of the guilt I felt.
I darted my eyes toward Daryl, who had already had his eyes planted on me. He had his crossbow slung around his shoulder and his eyes glistened through the dim light. He had a smirk planted on his lips as he sent me a slight wink.

"Okay." I turned my attention to the group. "I think a small group of us should go through the building. Make sure it really is secure."

Rick nodded his head, agreeing with what I was saying.
"She's right." He said. "Kaylie, Daryl, Michonne and I will make sure this place is safe."

Michonne handed Carl his baby sister, placing a kiss on his and her forehead before drawing her sword and walking to the door. I turned to Maggie, sending her a small smile.
"Be careful. We'll be back." I assured.
"I'll be here." She smiled back as I turned to walk with Rick, Daryl and Michonne.

I walked in between them all after Rick ensuring I take the lead- as I knew the place and where everything lead to. As I walked between them I felt Daryl's hand place itself on my lower back- a protective gesture that I adored.

We continued on through the building, scanning the area for any danger or anything we could possibly salvage. Although this place had been abandoned for over a year now- there was a fair amount of things we could make use of.
Finding the bedrooms and the bathrooms made me feel overwhelmed with happiness.

We walked into the shower room, the showers stood side by side a lot like the ones back at the sanctuary. I turned around a little too quickly- running into Daryl's hard chest with an oomph.

"Oh Jesus." I groaned and rubbed my head.
"This place look familiar?" His gruff voice whispered in my ear- sending chills down my spine.
Of course. The shower room in the Sanctuary was the place Daryl and I made love for the first time. It was then when I finally realised how much he meant to me and how much I wanted to ensure his safety.

"Come on." I quickly changed the subject walking back into the direction of the group. Rick, Michonne and Daryl stayed directly behind me as we made our way back to the recreation room.