thirty seven:: soldier

The sun shined brightly through the glass window that sat behind me as I rested on the white, picketed rocking chair. I rocked lightly and slowly, humming the words of 'you're my best friend' by Don Williams as I stared lovingly at the small bundle at cradled in my arms.  A smile refused to leave my lips as I took in mine and Daryl's one week old child.

His eyes roamed into mine, I was lost into the crystal blues that he had inherited from his handsome father. His cheeks were chubby like putty and they were soft enough that you could pinch them and he probably not feel a thing. He had light, ash toned brown hair that he could have gotten from either on of us.. he was the definition of perfect. He was the prefect child.

I had been on edge the entire week; not because I was worried for Daryl's safety because I wasn't. Daryl was the strongest, smartest and willing survivor I knew. I knew he was safe, my gut told me so. I was on edge because there had been multiple of times where I have wanted to be able to call our child by name. I wanted to be able whisper his name as I said the words ' I love you' to him as he fell asleep. I wanted to be able to have my arms wrapped around my husbands waist as we watched our son sleep peacefully.
I wanted Daryl.

I wanted his arms around me, and I wanted his lips on mine. I wanted to tell my husband that I loved him and I loathed for the moment when he met his child for first time. Will he be shocked? Will he say a word? Will he cry? Question flustered through my head, I just wanted the answer.

A knock at the door snatched me out of my trance, and once the door opened I smiled widely as my father stepped in. He wore his signature leather jacket, Lucille on his shoulder.
"Shit.." I sighed jokingly.
"What?" He chuckled as I slowly placed the fragile child in his arms.
"You're covered in grey hairs, old man."
"Old man?!" He laughed while he rocked lightly. "I'll have you know, I'm still as handsome as I was when I was 21."
"Right." I scoffed jokingly. "And I'm a virgin."
"That's a stupid comparison, Kay." He chuckled. "You just had a child, I know you're not."
"He's baby Jesus." I shrugged, attempting a straight face.
"Oh, how blessed you are." He laughed.
"I always knew there was something spectacularly amazing about me... now we know."
"You're something else, Kay." He agreed. "You've got some giant ass lady balls the size of a beach ball."

Suddenly another knock at the door interrupted us from our laughter. "Come on in." I addressed them, steadily breathing to revive myself from laughing.
In came Tony. Funny guy, easy to get along with an made every moment enjoyable. He liked everyone, and he worshipped the ground both I and Dad walked on.
"Negan, sir... Kaylie... glad that you're both safe and back home." He smiled. "A child! Kaylie, I congratulate you."

I smiled at the man. He resembled Stephan Hawking- ya know- minus the talking wheelchair.
"Thankyou, Tony." I spoke politely.
"If you don't mind me asking, Sir and Madam." He sighed. "But where did you go?"

I looked at my dad and his devilish grin made me laugh. I nodded my head in agreement; we were going to mess with him.
"Killed Azekial." Dad bluntly replied.
"Got married." I shrugged.
"Moved to Alexandria."
"Got pregnant."
"Made a new family"
"Cut off a Hispanic bitch's fingers."
"Alexandria got overrun.."
"Gave birth."
"And now we are here."

Tony's face was blank, although the questions still came.
"Where's Dwight?" He frowned.
"Killed him." Dad shrugged.
Tony's eyes widened. "And sherry?"
"Um.." I scratched the back of my neck. "Half of her is currently in a walker's stomach.. the other half possible roaming the streets."
"Simon?" He blinked a few times.
"Fetching my husband, and friend." I smiled.
"O-okay..." he drawled. "You guys had an eventful trip."
"To say the least." I laughed.
"Anyways.." he smiled. "It's nice to have you back."

Tony walked out, leaving Dad and I alone. We looked at each other for a split moment before laughed erupted. I clutched my stomach while dad tried his hardest not to wake the baby.

"Where is she?!" A familiar voice caught my attention. My eyes widened and dad had a smile from ear to ear. I sprinted into the hallway, anxious as to if my ears were playing tricks with me.

There he was. The most perfect human being I've ever known. He wore his famous angel winged vest, and his crossbow slung on his shoulder. With his back facing me, I became weak to my knees.
"Daryl.." I whispered, loud enough for him to hear.

He stopped in his spot, and turned to face me. His blue eyes were the first to grasp my attention, followed by the wide grin forming on his face. His face was dirty and his hair scruffy, but that didn't matter. Almost within seconds, I was in his arms sobbing of relief.
"I missed you..." I spoke.
"Missed ye' too, Kay." I sighed. "So fuckin' much."

I pulled away from the grasp and instantly pressed my lips onto his. Spark flew which is something not many people can say sticks around after so long of being together.
"Kay..." he stopped and looked me in the eye. "Y-Ye stomach..." he frowned in concern.

Almost instantly a grin spread across my face. "Dare... there's something you need to know." I grasped his hand and pulled him into my room.
"Wha--" he stopped dead in his tracks for the second time today. His eyes grew wide, and his facial coloration Gone and they landed on my father.
"Daryl." Dad excitedly greeted him. "Ma' man, Daryl!"
"Dare.." I smiled. "I fell into labor after Alexandria fell..."
"S-so this-" he sighed. "This is..."
"Our son, Daryl." I smiled, grabbing his hand even tighter.

Dad made his way over to us, slowly handing our child into Daryl's arms. I could tell that his muscles stiffened at first, but quickly softened as he gazed into our sons eyes. It truely warmed my heart and in this moment- I knew I was happy.

"I-" he looked at me. "I wasn't there.. shit. Kay, babe I am so fuckin' sorry- -I"
"Daryl fucking Dixon." I scolded him. "Don't you dare put yourself down right now. You and I both know that we hadn't had a clue as to when this little angel would come, and you were doing what you needed to do. I'm fine, and we have got a perfectly healthy baby boy."
Daryl sighed. "Don' swear around him'" he chuckled.
"Yes sir." I saluted with laughter.
"What's his name?" He smiled, running his calloused fingers across his small, chubby face.
"He doesn't have one." Daryl's head snapped to mine. "I didn't want to name him without you."

Daryl smiled and leaned over, kissing my lips lightly. "What're ye' thinkin?"
"Daryl, I know how much you've been through and how much loss you have suffered. I know that you miss your friends, so I was thinking- what about Glenn Abraham Dixon?"
"Glenn?" He smiled. "Glenn.." he nodded. "I like it."

"Rick and I found Carol.." he sighed. "She was dead."
"Oh, baby I am so sorry." I frowned.
"They say, when one is gone, another is born. I believe Glenn, Abraham and Carol... they're all apart of our child."
"I love you." I smiled.
"And I love Ye'..."