thirty four: i'm heavily pregnant

It was a dark and stormy night and the rain fell in torrents except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets of Alexandria. The wind sounded its mighty roar, making everything that surrounded it shake in fear, even the leaves fled in terror. This made me overly anxious for my husband and Rick's safety. It had been 5 days since their departure, and 5 more days of being heavily pregnant.

I sat on the old, ripped arm chair that sat in the corner of Aaron's living room. I had a hot cup of coffee in my right hand as it rested on the arm and my legs laid flat on the coffee table in front of me. Aaron trotted around the house like a lost puppy.
"Do you even know what you're doing?" I laughed jokingly as I took a sip of my caffeinated drink. Aaron spun around to face me with a dicky grin on his face.
"Nope." He popped the 'P'. "It's like my body is telling me to do something, but my brain doesn't even know what it wants me to do."

I let out a hearty laugh at his idiocy. I finished my coffee and slowly rose to my feet with the help of Aaron. "I'm pregnant, Aaron. I'm not a cripple." I scoffed kiddingly.
"I know." He nodded. "You're going to pop any day now Kay. Can never be too careful."
I smirked and turned to look at him over my shoulder. "Aaron.." I placed my hand on his shoulder. "The baby isn't going to fall out suddenly when I stand up. Stop worrying like a 70 year old woman." I laughed.
"Shutup." He laughed as I walked out of the house.

I decided on a small nap after I left Aaron's house. I felt lethargic constantly and sleep seemed to be the only thing on my mind.
"Kaylie!" My father's voice roared from my living room. I placed my hand on my stomach and waddled down. He stood there in his infamous leather jacket, and Lucille was resting on his shoulder. He had a look of concern on his face with made me frown.
"Get your weapons." He snarled. "The bitch has Got. To. Die."
"What?" I frowned, knowing he was speaking of Rosita. I picked up my weapons from behind the door, pressing my hand onto my stomach.
"She's escaped and had vowed to kill you." He growled, determination on his face. "She killed Aaron."

My heart stopped as did my feet. I just stared at my father while his eyes softened at my reaction. I shook my head vigorously, refusing to believe the words he told me. "I-- he can't be-- I saw--" I was at a loss for words. "I saw him merely two hours ago!"

His face said it all and that was it for the anger to form. From that moment I wasn't the sweet, content woman. I was back to the woman who started out in this world fighting for her life and I was back to the girl who was filled with sass, and who always had an answer. I felt like the woman I was when I first met Daryl and I wasn't allowing my child to see their mother as a weak, pathetic woman that I had become.
"Let's get this fucking Hispanic wannabe." I growled as I stepped out into the neighborhood.

Suddenly a loud, pitched squeal echoed through our ears. Mine and dads heads snapped toward each other, and almost instantly jetted off but it was too late. Walkers were piling into the compound. I stopped dead in my tracks once again. As if it were right on cue, snarls and growls were echoing one after another. I turned around and widened my eyes at the sight before me. Hundreds of them. They were stumbling and limping along the long road that was once a traffic jammed neighborhood. Their faces disemboweled, skin hanging off by a small fraction and their dislocated jaws snapping at the sight of humans. Although I was heavily pregnant, I was determined to make it out of here for not only my life but for Daryl and our unborn child.

"How have they managed to enter the compound?" I frowned as I readied my gun. "I'm heavily pregnant, I don't need this." I looked beside me and noticed Dad who had already prepared Lucille and the remainder of the group running in our direction. Maggie carried her 10 month old daughter in her arms while Sasha ran with only one arm beside her. Eugene, Michonne and Carl were not far behind them as they struggled to carry Judith with the strength in their arms while Enid stumbled out of the door carrying her hunting knife and Simon beside her carrying a bag.